Tires for 1000rwhp + application

Quad4_72

Established Member
As the build is coming together, I know I need to find the right tire. There are two courses of action I am considering. One is to put 17x4.5s on front with 15x10s on back with a 325 ET Street R and use that setup for both track and street. The other option is to use the 325 ET Street Rs for the street only, and run a 15x10 in the back with MT ET pros in the rear for the drag strip. Both courses of action I would sell my current front wheels and run the 17x4.5s at all times. I usually drive my car on weekends and to the strip. I have another car for daily. Right now a guy is selling darkstar 15x10s and 17x4.5s with MT ET Pros mounted and Phoenix fx tires all like new for $1200. Wanna make sure I am not wastin money here. Mod list is in my sig. Would prefer comments from those with experience with big power set ups on the street and track.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I am at 750 rw and am going to the MT pro for the track. Came from a slick to dr and the et street is giving traction issues at the track. On the street the et is good but not great even from a roll, i have not tried to heat them on the street before i hit them. They will not dead hook at all.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I drive mine with skinnies on the street all the time. What is your concern for them on the street?

the5

Established Member
I use MPSS on my 809 WHP car in Sun/rain/Snow lol, 285/30/20 for that matter lol.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
You've still got a stick shift right? Your F'd no matter what tire! Lol!

I run Pro's & radial skinnies all the time... If your worried about emergency braking, quit tailgating so close...

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Big traction tire in the rear hates big traction in front. Run a skinny front with any bias ply in the rear or any time big hp comes into play. Plently of mustangs, camaros, vettes, supras, ect have fallen to over correction with a big front tire.

Quad4_72

Established Member
So I think I am gonna go with the ET street Rs for both street and strip. The new Rs are basically the same thing as the ET pros anyways

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
You wont find a better tire for the strip than the MT Pros... They are OK on the street too... They aren't quite as big as you can get in the Rs, but the bigger tire isn't needed. When you picking these up? :)

FATHERFORD

Established Member
suspension setup plays a big role.

If i want to really play, i slap on my 275 pros and skinnies up front. I daily drive with my 19's and 345 NT05R's

Quad4_72

Established Member
You wont find a better tire for the strip than the MT Pros... They are OK on the street too... They aren't quite as big as you can get in the Rs, but the bigger tire isn't needed. When you picking these up? :)

Well the Rs are on like a 6-8 week back order. I am picking up the 17x4.5s and 15x10s with ET Pros this weekend.

Mattism78

Established Member
My buddy runs R888's on his 1500hp Vette. Works great for him. Not sure why in the hell you would want to run skinnies on the street. You're making your car go faster while at the same time hurting the stopping power.

Users who are viewing this thread