Tires and Handling

Established Member
I am thinking of changing out the rims and tires on my 2012 GT. It has the Brembo brake package and came with
255/40R19 tires.

I am wanting to change to NT05's on 18 inch rims with following sizes...
275/40R18 front
295/45R18 rear

If I change to those size tires, am I going to give up any handling? I plan on road coursing 1-2 times a year.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
If you only track 1-2 times a year and drive the car on a daily basis, I don't recommend the NT05's. They wear very quickly, are loud, and don't handle the rain too well.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
i recommend using 275/35-18 all the way around. street or track, rotation eases tire wear. bigger tires on the rear also work against good handling anyway.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
i recommend using 275/35-18 all the way around. street or track, rotation eases tire wear. bigger tires on the rear also work against good handling anyway.
Like he says, unless the chassis is set up for it (vettes) you'll want the same size all around.
If you want the look of a wider stance in the rear, you can run a set of .125/.25 spacers in the rear while on the street.

It is like just eating one Lay's potato chip... nobody can eat just one (or two). Good luck with just doing a couple a year. The track pipe is very addictive:-D
What is this addiction you speak of.
I've managed to restrict myself to a mere 10 weekends in the last 16 months. That's less than one a month. I'm not hooked, man! (toke-toke)

Users who are viewing this thread