tires and cold, wet, frozen weather

jason6488

Established Member
ok, most of us have some gripe or another with the stock tires on these cars and im no exception. the purpose of the post is to provide a point of reference for those of you thinking about switching to another tire but either arent quite sure what to choose or want some more information. I had 8k miles on the eagle g2 tires and they had about half the tread left. driving on them was an effort in control. no accelerating above 1/4 throttle in any gear, no "performance" turning. in short its like driving a corolla. no more! I switched to continental extreme contact dws. theyre 275 40 r19 in front and 275 35 r20 in back. out the door cost at discount tire was 1166. its we roads here in dallas, 47 degrees and they stick great. I hit full throttle in 3rd at 60, no spinning. iI was elated. so for those of you looking for something else my experience with these tires, while brief, has been worlds better in cold, wet weather than the stock tires ever dreamed about.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
ok, most of us have some gripe or another with the stock tires on these cars and im no exception. the purpose of the post is to provide a point of reference for those of you thinking about switching to another tire but either arent quite sure what to choose or want some more information. I had 8k miles on the eagle g2 tires and they had about half the tread left. driving on them was an effort in control. no accelerating above 1/4 throttle in any gear, no "performance" turning. in short its like driving a corolla. no more! I switched to continental extreme contact dws. theyre 275 40 r19 in front and 275 35 r20 in back. out the door cost at discount tire was 1166. its we roads here in dallas, 47 degrees and they stick great. I hit full throttle in 3rd at 60, no spinning. iI was elated. so for those of you looking for something else my experience with these tires, while brief, has been worlds better in cold, wet weather than the stock tires ever dreamed about.

Good info! :beer:

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
Def considering these as mu next set of rubber. Id like to go to a 295 or 305 in the back tho

Posted via Topify on Android

03reptile

Established Member
The DWS's are great. Have them on the Fusion and BMW. I don't think they make a 285/35/20 for our rears. The 275 will do fine. I'm going with the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 when my current Toyo Proxis 4 plus all seasons wear out. I got a great deal on the Toyo's, so I went with them. They are very good in cold weather and am very pleased with their performance. I think the Michelin's will be a tick better, Plus they make a 285/35/20 to match the rears. No brainer.

03reptile

Established Member
The DWS's are great. Have them on the Fusion and BMW. I don't think they make a 285/35/20 for our rears. The 275 will do fine. I'm going with the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 when my current Toyo Proxis 4 plus all seasons wear out. I got a great deal on the Toyo's, so I went with them. They are very good in cold weather and am very pleased with their performance. I think the Michelin's will be a tick better, Plus they make a 285/35/20 to match the rears. No brainer. Driving on the stock Goodyears in temps less than 60 degrees is akin to playing Russian Roulette.

Sorry...double post.

jason6488

Established Member
I considered the Michelins but went against them mostly for cost. they weren't available from discount tire so for me that meant buying them from tire rack and having then installed and they were about 100 more per tire. I have heard great things about them. I considered the oe tire load and speed rating which are different for some of the sizes, 285 r20, being one of them. I also considered the sidewall height to keep things as close as possible for the speedo. so load greater than or equal to stock, y speed rating and close sidewall height made the choice pretty easy. hope that helps y'all make a good informed decision.

mullens

Established Member
Since I don't have to deal with much inclement weather, I'll be going with a set of DR's, probably Nitto NT05's. Just waiting for the G2's to wear out.

Pete Grimaldi

Established Member
I ended up getting a set of wheels and tires from American Muscle for cold weather driving. Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S 275/40/19s on all four corners. I did not get winter tires so I would not have the urge(stupidity) to drive it with snow on the ground. We just got six inches last night.

Anyway, I drove the car up until last week. If I need to drive it I can in case my other vehicle has issues. The 275s on the rear don't seem to be a problem. I am thinking of 275/40/19 fronts and 295/35/20 rears when I replace the Goodyears. I'm not sure what brand I'm going to get yet, but probably the Michelins.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread