Tires: 98W vs. 93W

wilson

Established Member
I recently had a tire replaced under warranty for a manufactures defect and was given a 93W (93 being the load index) instead of the OEM 98W. After reading a thread here last night, I decided to check my replaced tire for the load index. Sure enough I was given a 93W. There were also some minor cosmetic differences.

Fast forward to this morning. I called the dealership who had replaced the tire to inquire about the situation, and was told that the 98W had been discontinued and no longer available.

So I call a local Goodyear store and they tell me they have 98W’s in their warehouse.

I call back the dealership and was then given the phone number to their tire supplier. I was told by their “tire guy” that there was indeed a difference in load ratings (about 200lbs) but that the 93W was the only one available as the 98W’s were no longer being produced. I proceeded to tell him that the retail Goodyear I called says they’re available. His response “Oh, they must have found a leftover tire.” He then went on to say “If you can get me the name of the warehouse I’ll see if I can order them, but it will be up to my dealership as to whether or not the tire will be replaced.

At this point I call back my dealership to inform them that their “tire guy” said he would look into the 98W tire in the warehouse. My service advisor said it might be a couple of days before they got back to me.

Not satisfied in the response from the dealership, I called Goodyear Corporate. They confirmed the difference between the 98W and the 93W, and then went on to tell me they are still available. “Over 1,000 of them in warehouses across the country, and more being produced this week.”

After one more call to the dealership, my new tire with the correct load rating will be here next week.

Sorry for being so long winded but I thought this might help others who are in a similar situation.

BLACK SUNSHINE

Established Member
I have 2 good 93W tires from my Ram Air that I am thinking about putting on the back of my Cobra. Considering the front weight bias, does anyone think this would cause me any problems?

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
With automakers (including Ford) watching pennies, don't you suppose there was a reason to specify the 98W tires as OEM on the Cobra instead of the (presumeably cheaper) 93W tires?

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge
Maybe under extreme braking the front end is loaded to more than 2866 pounds, especially with me in the car, and that is why the "98" weight limit is specified?

It may be something as simple as this. Under extreme braking and hard acceleration your vehicle is subject to the same "G" forces you feel in your gut. Your tires act as your cars G-suit absorbing much of this along with the suspension. So in reality your car technically weighs more under these circumstances than static. Hence the need for a tire with a greater load capacity.

BLACK SUNSHINE

Established Member
Tetge & SoCalBlk03, thanks for the good info. I did not even think about braking and cornering. Since I drag race and do not autocross, I do not think those 93W tires would hurt on the back.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
When I had my chrome wheels put on I noticed some dunlop? tires in ZR rating with a 100w or was it 103w at my local NTB? Anyway I gather the higher the number the better?

:beer:

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
As to the higher the number being better, as others have said there is more there than meets the eye.

I am not a deformable bodies expert or thermoplastics engineer, but I would say that there are other factors to consider besides exclusively the load rating. To me, having a performance speed rated tire that also rides well is now within the realm of current technology. Having a higher load rating tire than is necessary would, to me, degrade the ride quality with questionable benefit (at least, in our application).

However, if you find tires that you like, and they have a higher load rating than stock, then great! Enjoy your new load rating. :)

Also, I believe that the actual weight of the car does not change, only the mass loading of a particular corner or end of the car does. If we were to stand the car on its ear going into a corner to where the right front tire carried 45-50 percent of the weight of the automobile (1733-1925 lb, with a 200 lb driver), then the load rating would be a factor...but would this be possible? No flames intended to whoever postulated that the weight of the car changes...:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread