Tired of working under someone....

DrYeRLiNt

Horse From Hell
Established Member
I've learned in this world... if you work under someone you are treated like shit, but if you don't you have to deal with shit.

I'd rather have the latter, because my performance determines my pay.

Long story short- Working through college part time, I make about $800/month. If I can match or beat that working for myself doing some other kinda job (landscaping, computer shit, etc), I would gladly do so.

I've had this idea come to me and I've sat on it for awhile, but I just do not know where to begin with it!

Any of you guys attempt this kinda thing with any success?

Basicly-

Low start-up (under $5000)
Moderate or less risk (i'll only be out what i put in)
Potential for bettering myself

I was kinda thinkin a landscaping/pressure washing business I could do it pretty cheap and still come out pretty good for myself. I imagine a start up cost being around 2-3k

The only issue with this idea is the competition... how many landscaping businesses there already are in town.

Last edited:

DrYeRLiNt

Horse From Hell
Established Member
Whizzle said:
car detailing?

car detailing could also be a good one, but i imagine business would be very slow and it may be difficult to compete with the $3 car washes around here (you'd be amazed how many people would prefer to spend $3 to ruin their paint job than to actually take care of it)

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Lets see...you're in college if I recall...

Mostly look around for things peopl DON'T want to do...and do them on an as-needed basis. Basically you have to become a jack-of-all-trades and know basic carpentry; masonry (Quickrete) and landscaping/yardwork...and limited car detailing...Whatever needs to be done YOU can DO it!

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
As I stared at the wall of Rain Bird underground sprinkler system stuff the other day at Lowe's, I thought to myself "man i bet i could learn this stuff easily and then make a good amount of money by installing them.'' It would be hard, hot, dirty work, but for a part timer (i'm in school too) it would be great. Work all spring/summer/fall then be off in the winter (unless someone needs a sprinkler) :)

JasonSnake

Established Member
I'm actuallygetting laid of myself in October 1st. I make a measly $1600 a month, net. I'm in college too and wish to go fulltime but it's hard while working FT.

So I was thinking about calling up some distribution companies (computer parts, software, electronics, etc) and see if I can somehow become an online reseller, starting with ebay and work my way to creating an online storefront. If I can net at least $2000 a month, I'll be happy.

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
Depending on how many are in your area, I did pretty well while in college when me and a friend owned a mobile wash service.

We washed the outside of the vehicle, did the windows and tires, then we vacuumed the interior and armoralled (sp?) the plastic. It's real quick once you get into a set pattern and we charged anywhere from 20-40 bucks depending on the size, color, and condition of the vehicle.

In general its pretty easy to make around $20/hr and its all because people are lazy and don't want to wash their own car.

Start up for us was about $5k.

Rochard

Established Member
I'll never work for anyone again.

A few years back I was making good money. But my boss was making (exactly) eight times what I was. One year he was paying less in taxes than I was. That's when I discovered you have to have your own business to get around tax laws.

About two years ago I came up with the perfect plan. I do consulting for new companies in exchange for a percentage of ownership. Two of these companies took off, and I get a percentage of the profits no matter if I work 80 hours in one month or two hours.

And I work from home.

Users who are viewing this thread