tired of stang

john123456

Established Member
well ive had my feel of my mustang i think becuase i wanted it for so long i put it on a pedestal that it just cant match so im going back to 4 banger turbo cars this has to be one of the best forums for info ty to all that have helped me with anything and if anyone around pittsburgh wants to trade my 97 cobra for a srt4 wrx or dsm hit me up gl all

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Enjoy the high pitch annoying sounds your new car will be making. Also, you're welcome.

john123456

Established Member
idk guess i really havent decided for sure yet i was overly frustrated when i posted becuase i spent a bunch of time today replacing all the rockers and lash adjusters on the one side and still have some sort of tick that i cant track down becuase it only does it while moving at part throttle i can rev any rpm while still with clutch in or out and will barely ever hear the slightest . but try and cruise around and bam there it is. ive been all over with a stethoscope and just cant figure it out so im not really ready to give up yet i guess but dam im pissed:fm:

F8L BYT

Established Member
Trade it for a dsm or other import because those are much much more reliable lmfao.

john123456

Established Member
dsm s get a bad rap but the 6 bolts can be plenty reliable but anyways wasnt saying the stang was unreliable it runs and drives fine its just i have alot more exp with 4 banger turbo cars and next to none with the mod motors. so figuring out whats wrong and making the tapping sound is harder

hittinboost

Established Member
I've had just about every car out there and have nothing but respect for a properly built/modded turbo 4 cyl. Personally I love the sound and especially torque of a v8 compared to any turbo 4 banger, but to each their own. Goodluck to ya.

00_silvergt

Established Member
I had a 97 eclipse gsx. It was a pain to work on in my opinion. I rather work on the cobra. Your tick might be the timing chain guides need replaced. How many miles are on your engine? Never took the gsx to the track nor the cobra. But the cobra is more fun to drive and felt faster. Again, thats just my opinion

goats

Fast whitey
Established Member
So you rather have a car where you have to get most parts at the dealer. That the tranny has the famous 3 gear grind and where tranny parts are always on backorder? Good luck with that neon.

LDC2335

Established Member
Nuff said.. J/k man, drive what you like and are gonna be happy with. I'd drive a STI or a Supra, but thats about it. Nothing like a cobra reving to 7k though..:rockon:

getsizedimage.ashx

Last edited:

ZeroDCX

Established Member
I had a 97 eclipse gsx. It was a pain to work on in my opinion. I rather work on the cobra. Your tick might be the timing chain guides need replaced. How many miles are on your engine? Never took the gsx to the track nor the cobra. But the cobra is more fun to drive and felt faster. Again, thats just my opinion

Also, as stated before. Drive what you wish, as long as you're content doing so. Good luck!

john123456

Established Member
i dont really think i can get rid of it i just wanted one so long dont think i could bring myself to let it go i was just kinda pissed

gq916

Established Member
well ive had my feel of my mustang i think becuase i wanted it for so long i put it on a pedestal that it just cant match so im going back to 4 banger turbo cars this has to be one of the best forums for info ty to all that have helped me with anything and if anyone around pittsburgh wants to trade my 97 cobra for a srt4 wrx or dsm hit me up gl all

im offended :mj:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Yes, guys, because the Mustang is the greatest, best, most amazing car ever made and the 96-98 Cobra's have zero problems or build quality issues :rollseyes

I suppose most of the people in this thread would call me a ricer given the responses found in here, even though my turbo 4-cylinder daily-driver ricer car would stomp a mudhole in most cars in this thread.

sti%20cobra.jpg

Drive whatever you want, OP. Who gives a shit other people think if you like it?

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Yes, guys, because the Mustang is the greatest, best, most amazing car ever made and the 96-98 Cobra's have zero problems or build quality issues :rollseyes

I suppose most of the people in this thread would call me a ricer given the responses found in here, even though my turbo 4-cylinder daily-driver ricer car would stomp a mudhole in most cars in this thread.

sti%20cobra.jpg

Drive whatever you want, OP. Who gives a shit other people think if you like it?

Yup...part ricer is that better..."Stomp a mudhole"..do you mean a better rally car? then yup you win.

Surprise most people on SVT like the sound and feel of a V8...deal with it or sell the car.

I doubt the STI/WRX forums are hugs and kisses when someone wants to sell their car for a Cobra.

OP can do what he wants but a ticking sound would not make me sell my car but again to each his own

Oceanside78

Established Member
OP I'm in the same boat, countless issues and still have new ones, except I'm thinking of going back to turbo diesel. I miss the power, sound, and driving over anything I please. I even got similar gas mileage. I sold it to get out of a payment but I spend more in repairs a month than I did on my payment.

There's just something about a diesel at full spool

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Yup...part ricer is that better..."Stomp a mudhole"..do you mean a better rally car? then yup you win.

Surprise most people on SVT like the sound and feel of a V8...deal with it or sell the car.

I doubt the STI/WRX forums are hugs and kisses when someone wants to sell their car for a Cobra.

OP can do what he wants but a ticking sound would not make me sell my car but again to each his own

It’s not a better rally car, it’s a better all-round car than the typical Cobra found in the SN95 section. Speaking from experience mind you - I’ve owned my Cobra for 10 years this year, having daily driven it for many of those, and owned and daily driven my STi for 3 years now. The Subaru brakes better, handles better, is easier to drive, has better ergonomics, comparable gas mileage, makes more power with less modifications, and runs door-to-door with my friend’s 430rwhp supercharged GT.

Anyone who believes that WRX’s, Evo’s, etc.. are junk are fooling themselves.

As to the sound and feel of a V8, I like that too. That’s why I still own and have been building my turbocharged Mustang for over 2 years now. So yeah, I guess you could say I’m dealing with it if you want…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread