tire ?

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
Are any of you familiar with the "Sumitomo High Performance HTR Z" Tire? I am considering buying a set real soon from American Muscle, but I can't seem to find any info about what people think of this tire. How does it drive, steer, noise, and does it track grroves in the highway left by trucks?

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I had the HTRZ III's on mine not sure if they are the same but they handled well stuck ok and wore just fine and they were quiet but I have heard some on here say that they are a cheaper tire and therefore not as good as a big name brand but not sure what the experience they had with them was. I would buy again for how I use my car. Hope this helps. Hey where are you at in Colorado I am in Aurora?

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
They are good, but don't expect any type of hardcore performance whether it be turning or drag. They are just economy tires with low tread life. If you can afford it, I would recommend upgrading to Nitto 555's (not the drag radial).

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
I had the HTRZ III's on mine not sure if they are the same but they handled well stuck ok and wore just fine and they were quiet but I have heard some on here say that they are a cheaper tire and therefore not as good as a big name brand but not sure what the experience they had with them was. I would buy again for how I use my car. Hope this helps. Hey where are you at in Colorado I am in Aurora?

Thanks kwikie, for your input. I don't use my car hard, I just need to buy new rubber soon and was thinking of going with those HTRZ III's. What kind of mileage did you get? What are you running currently? I'm across tthe city from you in Westminster.
Are you planning on going to the RMMR show up in Steamboat this year? Can't miss that!

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
They are good, but don't expect any type of hardcore performance whether it be turning or drag. They are just economy tires with low tread life. If you can afford it, I would recommend upgrading to Nitto 555's (not the drag radial).

I think I like your idea to go with the Nitto's. I'm a little leary of buying cheapo rubber. Thank's midnight.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks kwikie, for your input. I don't use my car hard, I just need to buy new rubber soon and was thinking of going with those HTRZ III's. What kind of mileage did you get? What are you running currently? I'm across tthe city from you in Westminster.
Are you planning on going to the RMMR show up in Steamboat this year? Can't miss that!

I sold the car that had those tires on them so not sure what they will get as far as mileage I only put like 1500 miles on them never drove it. I am not going to RMMR this year but am considering the big Saleen show in Castle Rock as it is closer and I won't get any awards at either. As far as what I have now I have Riken radials good tires made by Michelin just sold under different name. They don't make anything bigger then a 275 in the 18's though so if you are running 10's could be a problem. I have a couple of cheap tire sites saved on my computer if you want them let me know and I will post up. :beer:

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
Did you go to the RMMR last year? I think I saw you there, but not sure.
checked out the co. stangs site, and didn't see anything about the Saleen show in Castle Rock. Maybe goin blind.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Did you go to the RMMR last year? I think I saw you there, but not sure.
checked out the co. stangs site, and didn't see anything about the Saleen show in Castle Rock. Maybe goin blind.

Last year I had a chrome yellow and if you are the slightly older gentleman with the BAB I sat there all day with you and your wife and my wife sold the CY and now have the LR. The Saleen show is under the events calander on the forum.

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
Ok I found it. Yea, that would be me, but "slightly older"? I think it is more than slightly.
I remember the Chrome Yellow, and us having allot of discussions. I knew you had told me you were on this site allot, but I couldn't find ya till I guessed and put 2 & 2 together. I was looking for the Chrome Yellow Cobra though. I also tried to find ya on "Co. Stangs" but had no luck. Didn't know your moniker.
Good to run across you again. Small world.

LDC2335

Established Member
i have the htrz III's on the rear(285) and the htrz+ on the front, and they both handle well and the rears grip really good, im pretty much stock, but i drive it hard and they do well

another good tire to loook at is the general acclaim, its pretty cheap, looks sweet and the reviews for it are great.. but american muscle sucked me in since they were one of the only sites that sold the hypercoated fr500's mounted balanced and free shipping, i couldnt pass up the combo and a buddy of mine had the sumo's and liked em and the tread rating was the same so i went for it.

i got the htrz+ on the front though, i sacrificed about an inch of extra width for the extra treadlife, the all season performance and the ability to rotate.

only complaint i have is they are directional but have to have a specific side on the outside, so it looks like one side is on backwards, one plus of this is that you can rotate them to the other side.. hard to explain, but i contacted sumitomo and the said it was right and to always keep the "outside" on the tire, outside. ill post a pic below

Last edited:

jlg32281

Established Member
What size tire are you looking for? Firestone Complete Auto Care sells a 245/45/17 for $70. You can get a set of 4 out the door for under $400 and they're not a bad tire, not the best tire by far, but for a daily, just fine for me.

LDC2335

Established Member
see how the the passenger side tread looks like its going the wrong way, sumitumo says its right, the outside of the tire is marked "outside" and they grip just fine, i just thought it way wierd.

P1010986.jpg

P1010982.jpg

htrz+
P1010980.jpg

Last edited:

LDC2335

Established Member
Sumitomo FTL

no supporting argument? bad experience? :shrug:

good price, good tread wear rating, good reviews, enough for me to give em a shot.

Ive always hated ford, now look what i drive. sometimes ya gotta give something a shot

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Do a seach on here for Sumitomos.

They don't frip for shit on launch, they don't last long

There's a reason you can buy a 315/35/17 for about $100

thasalvoo

I had a set of Sumitomos front and rear and they were the biggest pieces of crap ive ever had. They lasted about a year and didnt grip for anything. I was driving on the highway about 50mph it was raining pretty hard and i hit a puddle...i spun around about 3 times and almost took out a guardrail. needless to say the next day i ordered some nittos and couldnt be happier. I think the nittos are about 200 dollars more for all four, but well worth it.

LDC2335

Established Member
i cant defend em too much as i only have a thousand miles on em, but for me they grip, but again im stock and havnt been on the track yet with em, mabye blown with 500hp they may not grip as well but they do fine for me around town.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Ok I found it. Yea, that would be me, but "slightly older"? I think it is more than slightly.
I remember the Chrome Yellow, and us having allot of discussions. I knew you had told me you were on this site allot, but I couldn't find ya till I guessed and put 2 & 2 together. I was looking for the Chrome Yellow Cobra though. I also tried to find ya on "Co. Stangs" but had no luck. Didn't know your moniker.
Good to run across you again. Small world.

Ha Ha Ha I was trying to be as respectful as I could with the slightly older commnet lol. After years of being married to an older women you get a little gun shy.:bash::bash::bash::poke:

Users who are viewing this thread