Tire wear on Nitto 555's

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Well, its time for new tires, and im thinking of getting a set of Nitto 555's(not the DR's). I know ive seen people on here who run these tires, and i was just wondering how good tread life has been so far. My stock F1's lasted all of 13,000 miles, so im hoping to get a TAD more life outa new tires.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
Did you rotate them & stay on top of the air pressure?13K?
wow..
Both the non-dr Nitto triple 5 & stock goodyears are 300AA tires..Theoretically,they should wear the same..Its all about the right foot..I've gotton 10 K out of a set of DR's..Occasional trips to the track..probably 10 passes total..The rest back & forth to work..Nitto DR's are really good tires on excessivly powerful cars..They actually make the car safer to drive.

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Originally posted by 9A Pilot
Did you rotate them & stay on top of the air pressure?13K?
wow..
Both the non-dr Nitto triple 5 & stock goodyears are 300AA tires..Theoretically,they should wear the same..Its all about the right foot..I've gotton 10 K out of a set of DR's..Occasional trips to the track..probably 10 passes total..The rest back & forth to work..Nitto DR's are really good tires on excessivly powerful cars..They actually make the car safer to drive.

Yep, regular rotation and checked the air pressure every week when i checked my fluids.
I was thinking of running the DR's in the back, but are they a good daily driver tire? My car is my daily, so it needs to be safe to drive rain or shine, and i just got the impression that DR's werent the best in the rain.

Swervedriver

Established Member
I run 315 rag radials on the stock rims and they wear barely faster than the stock tires on the front. That's pretty good considering they've now got over 30 passes on them.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
I run 315 Nitto DRs on the rear on 10.5 AFS replicas.

Wear is fine, My stock F1s lasted 6k miles and they were toast. And with harder driving habits, I have 11k on my Nitto DRs and they're worn but can still go another 3k miles or so. Also alot more track use seen with the drag radials.

They do fine in rain and shine. Hook a lot better and thats probably why the life worked out to be better. The stock F1s would just smoke em up at any speed. Just gotta take it a little easier in the rain since their thread depth isnt as much as the F1s, but I still cruise around 60-70 in the rain, laterly been doing about 50.

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Originally posted by §ilver§nake
I have 16k on my 555s and have plenty of tread left. They hook SOOOO much better than F1s.

Do you have the DR's or the regular 555's?

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Originally posted by §ilver§nake
I have the regular.

Awesome, just the reply i wanted to hear. I just put in an order for 4 Ntto 555's from tires.com, hope these turn out to be worth the money.
Thanks for all the replies guys!

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
I have 27,000 on my Nittos and they still have nealy half the tread left. My stock F1's had 20,000 miles and 50% tread left for the same reason. And I got $500 out them that I used to get two of my Nittos 555's.

Getting tires to last comes down to one and only one thing....how well can you resist the urge to show off. It really is that simple.

And along those same lines the same applies to brakes as well. I have 45,000 miles on my Cobra and I still have 40% of my brake pads left on my front and 37% on my back brake pads.

Users who are viewing this thread