Tire size = tech failure?

ModsAway

Established Member
My buddy and I are debating how a different ratio may or may not affect his cars performance and/or computer codes.

He drives a Volkswagon (don't hold that against him) :pepper:

His all season tires are 195/65/15 and he wanted to mount 205/65/15 snow tires. What if any difficulties will this cause? I will ellaborate if need be but his mechanic friend has some odd views imho.

Thanks guys. Please list any technical/handling changes and/or computer problems this may cause.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
it'll change the torque curve, but as long as as it's a good set of rims and tires and there are no clearance probs with the breaks or inner fenders, i don't see a problem.

ModsAway

Established Member
Thanks ezernut9mm. This may also slightly effect the spedometer by a mph or two but we are not concerned with that.

Any other opinions plz? Need some informed opinions.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
With a taller tire, it will naturally affect things, depends on how much though, most of the time you will never notice it. With the sizes you have listed, I wouldn't worry about it.

NXSVTCOBRA

dont know if this would help you much but i had 225/40/18's on my 2001 jetta... and on my daily driver they are 205/15's..., not sure of the height

ModsAway

Established Member
Ok well no one has gone off sceraming OMG your buddy's car is going to blow up (which of course I expected no one would say).

His "mechanic" friend claims that the slightly taller tigher (65 of 205 is slightly taller then 65 of 195) will throw all kinds of codes in his CPU and trip his check engine light. His friend also claims this "MAY" void his warranty.

Did I mention his "mechanic" friend works at the Volkswagon dealership he tried to get the snow tires installed at.

Anyone else got opinion PLZ let me know. Thanks again everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread