tire size question

termynator

Established Member
will a 285/35/18 be too big on the front of a lowered 04 cobra? seems like alot of guys run the 275s but i found a great deal on a set of new 285s. just wanna make sure they will work before i buy them

gargstang

Established Member
I think they will work. I run the 275/40s and they turn fine lock to lock. The 285s are less than a half inch wider depending on make so I don't see why they won't fit.

The only rub issues I have are near the 2 o'clock position on the fender lip. When I hit large bumps they rub because of my caster setting but the 285s look to be shorter so that should not be a problem for you.

Jroc

Established Member
Don't go bigger than 275's unless you get the fenders rolled, and some good wheel from a wheel company who knows all the offsets and backspacings to make bigger front wheels and tires fit on these cars. CCW for example. You sure as hell wouldn't want a 285 mounted on the front on a 9" wide wheel. Some companies know how to make a 9.5" wheel fit on the front of these cars.

Terminators have a straight up shitty turning radius because they have stops to allow them to run 275's which no other Mustang built to date can fit without rubbing.

Also a 285/35 will have way more sidewall than you want on a 9" wheel in the front. Even a 275/35 has a slightly larger diameter than a 315/30 tire, and a 285/35 naturally has a larger diameter than a 275/35.

I recommend either 265/35's or 275/35's.

Users who are viewing this thread