Tire seperated from sidewall need help!!!

Elliotness

Established Member
Need some suggestions.

Last week I was driving the car to my son's basketball practice. I was entering the highway doing around 40 mph; I heard a hiss then a thump. I pull over and see a tire tread rolling down the street. I'm thinking that can't be my tire. Get out of the car and see the tread is gone all that is left is the sidewall attatched to the rim :mj: @$&% Luckily, the sidewall supported the weight of the car and did not alow the rim to touch the ground. I called the courtesy patrol, they fixed the tire. Before you bash me, I would have fixed the tire myself but traffic was screaming past me at 60+ and I didn't want to try and jump the curb or die changing the tire.

Here are my vitals:

2003 Cobra
Tires: Stock F1 tires - one flat repaired 1year ago

I rotate the tires as required frequently and do not have any treadwear issues.

Any suggestions on what I should do. I considered just buying a new tire then I thought a minute and concluded that even if the tire went flat it should not have seperated like that. Seems like a defect in the tire.

I will post a pic of the tire and rim later.

Luckily the tread did not touch the car when it came off. Therefore, no real damage to the car. :beer:

I'm guessing I will have to buy a new tire. I want to get a new set of tires and wheels; however, the budget doesn't allow for that right now. Where can I get a new F1?

HBO

Thanks

Last edited:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
19K miles? Are those the same F1's that came with the car? Good god man, change them if that's true!

Check out the Goodyear Eagle GS-D3's.

Elliotness

Established Member
Why change the tires when they don't need to be changed. The wear on the tires are great. I put about 6,000 miles on the car on a road trip. In two years I have put about 12K miles on the car... Save the 6k trip.

juiced96snake

BOSS 2511
Established Member
That happened to me. I had a Falken 451 do that the tire got a slow leak and before I knew it the tire got so hot it shredded right down the middle of the side wall. My girl friend says to me "the tire came off" I was like no way! I get out and sure enough. So I put on the spare and buy a new tire. The thing that sucked was that the tire was brand new. I think it didnt seal right because my rim was curb checked sometime before I bought the car but has since been repaired no problems with the new one so far....

Last edited:

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
Talk to a good year dealer about prorating a new tire...You don't have to pay full price if it is defective. I had my BFG Comp TA's start to delaminate and all 4 were replaced and prorated, i payed about 40% of the actual tire cost. They should just simply measure tread depth (which you wont have because you lost the tread) and calculate it out. The could probably do an average on the tires you do have to figure out how much tread should have been left on the other tire.

Dan

Elliotness

Established Member
Okay,

However, I'm concerned a little about these tires. I'm thinking I might just come out of pocket and go a different direction. Just leave the car parked until then. Don't really drive the car much anyway.

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
That's always an option. When I had my problems with the comp TA's BFG no longer made them...So i had to get KDW's, i think i lucked out.

Good luck with the tires

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Sounds like the tire lost some or all of the air, overheated and came apart. With the short sidewall sometimes its hard to tell you lost the air while driving.

Elliotness

Established Member
Originally posted by MikeC
Sounds like the tire lost some or all of the air, overheated and came apart. With the short sidewall sometimes its hard to tell you lost the air while driving.

You're probably right.

cobracory

Established Member
I have had two problems with the stock F1's.
First was a flat -- sidewall puncture of some sort. I must have driven close to somethat knicked the sidewall and caused a flat. Got that one replaced under (extended) warranty road-hazard.

Second was a bubble in the sidewall -- once I noticed it I got rid of the tire.

I decided to shell out some money from my pocket and I picked up a pair of Eagle F1 GS-D3's for the rear. They are so much better than the stock F1 GS', imo. And I was still able to warranty the tire will the bubble and got a brand new replacement.

So now I have 1 brand new F1 GS and one with 9000km on it.
:)

I think someone touched on it -- if there was a small leak in the tire, it is possible it could have caused that once it got to the proper temperature.

Something else came to mind too -- seeing how the tires are directional -- was the tire on the proper side of the car? Not sure what would happen if it wasn't.

J15BIG

Established Member
get ur rim checked. last time i got a flat (in the lighting) i drove about 300 feet to my buddys shop(luckily i was that close). in that 300ft of driving i managed to bend the rim. the guy putting the new tire on said that its not that bad and that I shouldnt have a problem with it, but it definetly is bent.

Users who are viewing this thread