Tire recommendations?

Bert5.0

blah
Established Member
Its almost time to replace the tires on my Mazda 3. Somebody recommend me a good all season tire thats great in the snow. And no BFG. I'm unhappy with the quality of my last set. They were also terrible on snow.

Seems like the OEM tires were very good in the snow, but I don't recall what they were.

10splaya22

Established Member
Its almost time to replace the tires on my Mazda 3. Somebody recommend me a good all season tire thats great in the snow. And no BFG. I'm unhappy with the quality of my last set. They were also terrible on snow.

Seems like the OEM tires were very good in the snow, but I don't recall what they were.

There is no such thing. The all season tire is good at everything but not great at anything. If you want to get around reliably in the snow, snow tires are your only option. But most all season tires should be able to get you around ok when snowing.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
I've got 275,40,20 continental Extreme Contact DWS' on my srt and I cannot recommend them enough! I've driven through some deep snow and they don't slip or slide they just grip and go.

stmoney11

DSG Lightning
Established Member
I've got 275,40,20 continental Extreme Contact DWS' on my srt and I cannot recommend them enough! I've driven through some deep snow and they don't slip or slide they just grip and go.

+1 to the Conti DWS, had them on my old civic and we had a lot of snow the past 2 Winters, I was very pleased with their performance.

Bert5.0

blah
Established Member
There is no such thing. The all season tire is good at everything but not great at anything. If you want to get around reliably in the snow, snow tires are your only option. But most all season tires should be able to get you around ok when snowing.

I understand that, but my commute isn't long enough to justify that kind of expense. And I don't hardly need summer tires or anything on a 145hp mazda.

The factory tires were pretty awesome in the snow, but thats about the only positive thing I can say about them. That and they were quiet.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member

+1 to the Conti DWS, had them on my old civic and we had a lot of snow the past 2 Winters, I was very pleased with their performance.

I'll THIRD this reco...

On my Taurus and GREAT in dry, wet AND snow...just as the name says...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS

FortLewisCobra

Established Member

X2 I always got a chuckle passing subarus and trucks in the ditch in my cobra on snow tires.

^^^^^These

Until you hit the brake pedal...

Found this it lays out the difference pretty well. http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/products/tire-testing-showdown-winter-vs-all-season#last-slide

Last edited:

Bert5.0

blah
Established Member
X2 I always got a chuckle passing subarus and trucks in the ditch in my cobra on snow tires.

Until you hit the brake pedal...

Found this it lays out the difference pretty well. http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/products/tire-testing-showdown-winter-vs-all-season#last-slide

Yeah but my commute is 5 miles, round trip. All city driving, 40 mph max. If need be, I can get by with driving 25 miles/week. And if the car gets stuck in the snow in front of the house (again), I can just call in to work and spend the day in my nice warm house.

These BFGs I got last time are damn scary in the snow, unlike the OEMs.

Riptide

Established Member
The conti DWS are going to be decent in light snow. If you have serious stuff, as in over 4" or so, then they are going to start showing their weakness in that application.

On my subaru I have general altimax snows for the winter and conti DWS for all other times of the year. I don't plan on putting my snows back on the car next season until we get a real snow shower that is 5" or more.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I've had 7-8 different tires on the rims of my cars over the decades. The Michelin's are by far the best.

Users who are viewing this thread