Tire recommendations - 04 F150

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
I've purchased several sets from you in the past and I'd like to continue the trend!

I'm in need of new tires for my stock (modifications and rims) 04 F150 FX4. It is daily driven and sees highway, city, dirt, and snow (occasionally upwards of 3 feet). It will also occasionally tow 5,000lbs for upwards of 1000 miles. I'm looking for a good tire that won't strand me in 3 feet of snow but also doesn't howl on the freeway.

Any recommendations? I've heard that the BFG all terrains are a good tire.

Thanks!

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thank you for the post and for your continued support ShadowFist.

I recommended looking into the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. This semi-aggressive A/T model rides very well on-road with limited noise and also carries the mountain snowflake symbol for sever snow condtions.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Anytime!

You can stick with the OE size (275/65-18) or bump up a little to size 285//65-18. The 285/65-18 is LT 10 ply rated with a maximum pressure of 80PSI.

Last edited:

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
Any particular reason to go with one size over the other? What about price differences?

Whats the recommended PSI for these tires?

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
^
I just noticed your factory wheels are only 7.5" wide so I would stick with the OE 275/65-18 size as the 285's are a little to wide for your factory wheels. Here's the link with our current mail order price...

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

The recommended pressure for this size will be listed on your door placard.

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
Ok. I was wondering since it said that the tires are rated up to 80 psi.

Also, whats your opinion on siping?

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Ok. I was wondering since it said that the tires are rated up to 80 psi.

Also, whats your opinion on siping?

Sorry for the delay! Not sure how we missed your response.

The Wrangler Silent Armor comes with advanced siping so it will not be needed. Adding siping to a model that does not come with siping, like a mud tire for example, will help with wet/snow traction and even longevity. Check out this link...

Tire Siping - Discount Tire

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
I might be picking up some separate rims (unknown size). I plan on heading up to the mountains soon (yay snow!) and would you recommend a specific rim size (diameter/width) over another?

Would you still recommend the Silent Armors for ice and snow compared to a more rugged tire? I see that the Silent Armors have very limited sizing options and I am willing to switch rim sizes if I can get a better tire out of switching.

03term550

Established Member
Ive had a bunch of different tires on my old F150 lifted 6 inches the best all around tire Ive ever had was the BFGoodrich AT just dont go in deep mud they turn into a slick fast. Also not sure if you can run 16 inch wheels on that 04 but if you can run 16 inch tire they are much cheaper than 17 and way way cheaper than 18 inch

Last edited:

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I might be picking up some separate rims (unknown size). I plan on heading up to the mountains soon (yay snow!) and would you recommend a specific rim size (diameter/width) over another?

Would you still recommend the Silent Armors for ice and snow compared to a more rugged tire? I see that the Silent Armors have very limited sizing options and I am willing to switch rim sizes if I can get a better tire out of switching.

The new set of wheels you are considering, will they be used year round?

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
Potentially. I'd still be keeping the original rims (if I do indeed go this route). I may end up putting all seasons back on the original rims and using the new el-cheapo rims as the winter/offroading beaters. I've been reading that the smallest rim I can fit is a 17 (rotor/caliper clearance). I may also invest in a 2" leveling kit to better allow 35" tire clearance.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
You can certainly drop down in size to a 17" combination. If you plan on using this new set for winter/off-road then this is the ideal way to go. If you go with a levling kit I wouldn't stuff the fenders with a 35" tire. The wider footprint a 35" tire gives will decrease snow traction and while off-road will more than likely rub under suspension articulation. A good size to look into is 285/75-17. This size is approved for most aftermarket wheels (7.5" to 9.5") and is just shy of 34" in diameter which will complement your leveling kit nicely.

With off-road use in mind, look into the Trail Grappler M/T. This model has excellent off-road performance and rides well on-road. You can also have this model siped for snow and ice capabilities.

If you want something a little less aggressive the Terra Grappler in this same size would be a good pick. This tire model does well in all condtions and comes siped already for snow and ice.

Right now we are offering $40.00 OFF most alloy wheel sets and we do mount and balance all wheel and tire combinations for FREE. Here are some of the 17" wheel models we have available.

Wheel Products - Discount Tire Direct

If we can help put together a complete combination let us know :rockon:

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The Silent Armor would be the better model for snow when compared to the two Nitto models listed above. If you are after snow/winter traction then I recommend getting into a dedicated winter tire.

Finding a tall 17" snow tire is challenging but an excellent model to look into that will work with stock suspension is the General Altimax Artic in size 285/70-17. Here's the link with more details:

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

Users who are viewing this thread