Tire Questions

Hef

Established Member
I have 2 questions here, tire related, I think I know the answers but want to settle this.

1. I had to put a new set of Cooper SST tires on my F350 this past spring due to having a gash in the sidewall of one. I only put 2 new ones on since they are so expensive, I will change out the other 2 this fall. My question is, do the front or rear usually wear faster in a 4wd truck. I'm asking because I would rather the older 2 tires take most of the wear so when i replace, all 4 will look to have similar wear. ( I pull a 5th wheel also )

2. On my 5th wheel tires it says 80 psi, that is what I inflate them too? I ask because the previous guy has them all to 70psi.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have 2 questions here, tire related, I think I know the answers but want to settle this.

1. I had to put a new set of Cooper SST tires on my F350 this past spring due to having a gash in the sidewall of one. I only put 2 new ones on since they are so expensive, I will change out the other 2 this fall. My question is, do the front or rear usually wear faster in a 4wd truck. I'm asking because I would rather the older 2 tires take most of the wear so when i replace, all 4 will look to have similar wear. ( I pull a 5th wheel also )

2. On my 5th wheel tires it says 80 psi, that is what I inflate them too? I ask because the previous guy has them all to 70psi.
My trucks always seem to wear the front more than the rear, but I drive my trucks really nice. I'm sure if you are an aggressive driver, the rears are going to get punished.

If I'm not towing, I keep all the tires on my duramax at 70 (winter), but since I have been pulling my trailer 5x-6x per month and I've added some weight to it, I bumped the rears to 80.

This is one of those things that I would monitor frequently.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
Generally front tires wear quicker because of turning and what not on any vehicle. That is basically the whole reason you rotate your tires. Unless they are staggered.
And generally what the tire says is the max psi for that tire. There should be a label on the trailer for recommended tire psi.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member

The fronts take a beating because if you are towing a lot it can change your alignment angles due to the weight in the back. Some folks with dually trucks rotate the tires from the front to the inside rear, then when you rotate them again put those on the outside rear.

Users who are viewing this thread