Tire Questions input

JVENOM

Established Member
275's on the rear are about fine right now, but when you add Forced Induction to your vehicle and run higher psi and boost, at about how much rwhp should you switch to a wider tire then 275's?:read:

bradass31

Established Member
I know lots of guys with cobras that only run 275's. I think that they should be jumping up to a 315 if you ask me.

JVENOM

Established Member
can you run 315's on a rim smaller then 17x10.5? will you get to use all your tread? or meaning put it all in use?

gt03mustang

Detailer
Established Member
No you will not.

If you are NA then Id run 15x8 rims (5.5 BS, Draglites, Prostars, etc.) with 26x10.5x15 MT ET Streets or 26x11.5x15 Hooiser QTP's. When matching a tire up with a rim, make sure you look at the manufacturers recommendations for rim sizes. Perfect example is Hooiser and MT. The QTP's are 1" wider then the MT's, but Hooiser says an 8" rim will work fine.

Also, dont forget that suspension and track conditions play a big role in traction. Just because you upgrade to a bigger rim/ tire doesnt mean youll get better traction.

Im running 15x8 Draglites with 26x10.5x15 MT ET Streets. I dont spin at all with my auto, 3500 stall, and 269rwhp. However, I did spin with this set up while spraying a 100 shot off the line. But Im not going to blame it on the tires.

If you have a power adder then youd probably want to run a 15x10 (6.5 BS) rim with a wider tire. Also, the height of the tire comes into play here too. If you have a power adder and you're running out of gear, then youll want to step up to a 28" tire over the 26".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread