Tire question

Huddleston

The Sawed Off Scott Gun
Established Member
Quick question to ease my fears - I purchased some tires for my velgen wheels and followed the sizing recommendation of Paul from Howey industries. I went with 255/35/20 nitto invos for my front tires. I found out that the load carrying capacity for these is less than the weight of the shelby. I know other guys are running this same size tire - should I be concerned and change my set up?

Last edited:

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
A low profile tire with a light load rating could result in wheel damage if you hit a pothole and don't overcompensate with higher tire pressure. The road contact patch could also be compromised and impact handling. Often, skinny front drag tires have a light load rating but that is overcome by over-inflating the tire and only driving short distances in a straight line.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
255/35/20 Nitto Invo = Max Load Single (lbs):1,609 lbs.
Compared to 265/40/19 OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 tires = Max Load Single (lb): 1,653 lb.s

2012 GT500 =
3820 lb. curb weight
4700 gross weight
weight distribution of 56% front and 44% rear

4700 x .56 = 2632lbs / 2 = 1316 lbs.

Unless I am missing something, I do not see a problem.

Last edited:

Huddleston

The Sawed Off Scott Gun
Established Member
Makes sense to me, I was just going off of what the rep at discount tire told me. Based on your calculation it's very close to stock and I should be fine.

TexasShelby

Established Member
I ran a set of 20" INVOs and had no problems whatsoever. I did however switch to the NT05s and are very happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread