Tire Question

whip

Established Member
For those of you into Nascar, I know you can buy old tires after the races, often with little or no use on them, "scuff tires" I think they call them. Could these be used as drag slicks? How would they hook up for straight line racing? Would they support the weight of a Lightning making a 100+ mph pass?
I know nothing about slicks, but I just remembered my friend who made a coffee table out of Jeff Gordons (cough*HOMO* Cough) lap tires that he paid like $20 bucks a pop for. What do you guys think? Or even for a road coarse?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by whip
For those of you into Nascar, I know you can buy old tires after the races, often with little or no use on them, "scuff tires" I think they call them. Could these be used as drag slicks? How would they hook up for straight line racing? Would they support the weight of a Lightning making a 100+ mph pass?
I know nothing about slicks, but I just remembered my friend who made a coffee table out of Jeff Gordons (cough*HOMO* Cough) lap tires that he paid like $20 bucks a pop for. What do you guys think? Or even for a road coarse?

As I understand it, even the "Scuff tires" are shaved for the type of track they are running, Whether it is a Winston or Busch Series race, etc. This helps the tire run better on the track, especially an oval with all inside turns. So these would be absolutely no good for running in straight lines with.

whip

Established Member
Thanks,
I knew there had to be some reason you don't see people doing that!

Users who are viewing this thread