Tire question for autocrossers

newcastle

I have been told that the Kumho VictoRacer V700 is the best bang for the buck for autocrossing. There are better tires out there but am trying not to spend over $200 a tire. Can anyone comment on the Kumhos? Likes, dislikes, lifespan. Also, your preferred tire, longevity of your preferred tire.

Also, for you O3 cobra drivers that autocross, what mods do you have? What class are you in? Thanks.

mx_9

Established Member
FWIW..

I had tires installed by a shop that caters to local sports car clubs that track. His rack was full of Kumho's that were waiting to be installed on customer cars. Additionally, I spoke to a coworker with a super charged Viper and he was leaning towards Kumho's as he'd heard from other Viper owners that had used them and liked their traction.

TrophyCar

2wheels are better than 4
Established Member
Never used Kumho's, but Nankang's have been excellent to me. Have excellent wear, especially for AutoX, and are inexpensive.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
I run Hoosiers and have bought essentially two sets for less than 250 bucks through ebay (yes they were used). These were in the sizes 305/30/18 and 275/35/18. You take a risk with going used because of possible abuse of the tires, etc.

Right now on ebay, there is a set (2) Hoosiers that appear brand new for about 199.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2457084679&category=33745

Its always worth checking there. Hoosiers are basically the best tire out there, but are expensive brand new and wear faster than the Kumho's.

You could run in stock, esp-E street prepared, or SM2.

You should check out the SCCA rules (these comments in no way take place of the SCCA rulebook--read at your own risk), but basically:

Stock allows DOT race tires, like Victoracers, on stock size rims and few other mods (i think shocks and struts, some minor intake and exhaust).

ESP allows any size wheel/tire combination, changes to springs (but have to use the same type--you can't go coilover), two-point strut-tower brace, stock-type subframes like on the Bullitt, Mach 1, and convertibles, caster camber plates, etc....

SM2 is street mod 2. Most other Mustangs are in SM, but '03's are in SM2 because of the supercharger with the displacement. You can make changes like subframe connectors (but not jacking rails), coilovers front and back, any size tire/wheel combo, and more engine mods.

As my car sits, I would be in the ESP class because I have caster-camber plates and a two-point strut brace as well as 18X9 wheels with Hoosier DOT tires. I am thinking about going SM2 with changes to coilovers front and back, front control arms (you can't change the k-member though legally), subframes, and I could make some other changes to engine etc.

With ESP, I could go with the Bullitt subframes, competition springs and upgraded (i.e., matched) struts/shocks.

Hopefully this has been of some help. For really good answers, check out SCCAforums.com after you have a good idea about what you want to run.

Have fun.

Last edited:

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
I was told the right rear tire was coming off the ground here, probably not but fun to think about. I love autocrossing and can't wait for this year especially given the current 72-hour streak of below zero temps we are in the middle of here in beautiful northern Iowa.

Last edited:

newcastle

thanks for that info, that helps alot. I want to run in the stock category this year, and try to learn as much as possible before doing any big mods. how long have all of you been racing? I have only run in 3 events, all last summer. CANNOT WAIT for spring!

Users who are viewing this thread