Tire Pressure Sensor Fault Light intermittent... Dealer won't help

jbes3

Established Member
So I get the "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" light come on, and if you've seen it come on, it flashes quickly like you just launched a nuke or something really bad is happening to your car.

I take it to the dealer with the other problem I had (Fuel system pressurization or something... replaced filler neck) and told them that the light comes on and goes off. I go to pick up the car and read the service report which states that they checked all air pressures and codes and couldn't find a fault. Well no crap... I don't have a tire pressure problem, I have a sensor problem. So I talk to my service guy who smugly tells me that he can't do anything unless the light is on. I tell him that it comes on and goes off and show him the pic on my phone. He just smiles and keeps repeating that he can't do anything cause the light isn't on. We go back and forth and I want to choke him, but decide I should go. The dealership will get a great review when I get my survey from Ford.

I want the issue fixed. I recommended that he pull all the tires off and check. He won't. Any recommendations from you guys? I'm going to see what other dealers in the area say and see if they can help. Thanks for any input.

Holovacko

Established Member
Mine didn't flash, it stayed on. ..You can buy 4 new sensors and the sync tool, to be done with it. Not sure if the sync tool will work on the stock sensors or not. If it does, you may try resetting the sensors. AM sells the sensors and tool. Very easy to do.

Jabooh1

Established Member
When I have an issue it goes on and stays on. I picked up 4 sensors for $50 on ebay and the worked with no sync tool. That's all I can think of. Or take to Discount Tire they may have a different assessment or be willing to swap all sensors for cheap.

Zemedici

Established Member
It is hard to diagnose an issue unless the light is on, from what my techs tell me, the tire pressure lights do not store passive codes like the check engine system does. So unless the light is on it is hard to diagnose. Without the light being on, they dont know which sensor is acting up, and cannot just replace all 4 sensors, as they have to properly diagnose the problem. That make sense?

I know it may seem like the advisor is giving you the run around, but that is how, at least how I've learned the systems work.

That being said, now that you have a history of the problem, ask and see if your advisor can simply have a express lane technician reset the sensors. Ideally it would be a quick procedure, and would be covered under your warranty. If that doesnt remedy the issue, you may have a failing sensor, and would then have to figure out which one.

Last edited:

jojobee

Established Member
Dealers are sometime really stupid.

I had a sensor fail in one of my wheels and they told me they couldnt replace it since the sensor was no longer in the oem wheel...

I got a new Ford tpms from Ebay for like 25$ and had it replaced.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
... I want the issue fixed. I recommended that he pull all the tires off and check. He won't. Any recommendations from you guys? I'm going to see what other dealers in the area say and see if they can help. Thanks for any input.

jbes3,

Checking out another dealer for a second opinion is a good idea. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll help out.

Ashley

Users who are viewing this thread