Tire Pressure Question

mikeisgod

Established Member
I have some 275 40 17 tires that are going on the rear of my cobra. The rims that are on it now I "believe" are 9 inch, but i'm not sure to be honest. They currently have 245s on them, but the 245s look almost too small for the rims... I'll find out for sure if its an 8" 8.5" or 9" rim I guess when I take it in to the shop... but assuming they are the same size as stock (8") these 275s are going to be quite wide for the rim.. My question is, what would the best tire pressure be for them to be on an 8" rim? The reccomended max PSI is 51psi but as far as I know if they're wider than optimal the center of the tire will make contact with the rim more than the sides (not a flat footprint..) would running maybe 45-47psi or so make the tire run flatter? Or what would anyone recommend... sorry for rambling..

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
What type of wheels do you have? If they are stock then they are 17x8" and the 275 will have a bit of a bulge. I ran that combo for almost four years and kept 32psi in them most of the time.

mikeisgod

Established Member
I think i'll probably run like 32psi up front on the 255s and 29 or so in the rear 275s. I found some comments on how to test the wear pattern on the tires using chalk etc.... So I'll see what I come up with.

mikeisgod

Established Member
well got my tires on and am pretty happy with the fit. Ended up being 9.5s all around.... so the 255s up front may still be a hair small for the rims, but fit nicer than the original 245s that were on them, and the 275s out back fit perfect. Now I just need to figure out how the hell to fix the squeaking under the hood... already replaced the tensioner pulley, which helped the main squeak... now either UDPs (which will come eventually reguardless...) or a new serpentine belt...

Users who are viewing this thread