Tire pressure monitoring system failure....

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Finally got under the car today to fix the clunking and slop sound coming from the front of the car on low speed turns and bumps. Long story short....front sway bar. Typically it's the end links, however mine was due to loose main caps on the bar. I disconnected the battery as I do any time I work on the car and especially due to how close the alternator was to where i was having to work. Removed the wheels to check the end links. Then took them outside the garage to clean the inside of the wheels, why not right since their off. Bringing them back in I lost track of which wheel went on which side....so whatever, stock front tires so it didn't matter which side they went on, non-directional. Cranked her up and went for a drive to make sure sounds were gone....they were, but the "Tire Pressure System Failure" message and lamp came on. Had never done this the countless other times I've removed the wheels. Any clues? Seems kinda bs a tpms band or sensor would go like this all of a sudden. I'm hoping maybe it just has to reset itself. Ever happen to anyone else?

Last edited:

Freak3150

Established Member
Have you tried swapping sides? I'm fairly certain that the sensors need to be kept on the same axle. Unless you reprogram the system.

Slabo

Established Member
I would try swapping the sides as suggested first. If that doesn't work here is a link to the TPMS diagnositics procedure Ford Service Manuals - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING

I did get a message one time after running a while with a new set of tires/wheels. Not sure if you have the same problem but I ended up buying the little Ford TPMS reset tool and following the procedure to reset the monitor system using the tool at each wheel. Been working fine ever since for several years now.

The Ford part number on my TPMS Sensor Tool is 8C2T-1A203-AB and worked on my '07.

Here is the link to the reset procedure Ford Service Manuals - GENERAL PROCEDURES

Might be worth a try.

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
The location of the wheel is irrelevant. They can go on any corner. The message should reset itself. If not, hit reset on the console. If it still won't go away you've got a problem.

Steve

Last edited:

c6vette

Established Member
I put headers on last week and had a TPMS error afterwards. Took it for a drive and it sorted itself out.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
It reset itself. Just needed to put some miles on it.

Sent from my huge ass SAMSUNG NOTE using tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread