TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SYSTEM

74SD455TA

Established Member
Let me ask this question this way, for anybody that has ever "tripped" a TPMS on their car, what did you have to do? My car gets driven very little (only 4,200 miles on it) but I need to know how that the TPMS resets itself, or if it does at all. I have heard that once you get the tire(s) back to normal pressure, then you HAVE TO DRIVE FOR about 20 miles for the system to re-set? If thats true, fine, and that is all I need to know, OR do you have to take the car in to have it re-set? I see nothing on the steering wheel menu that could be used as a re-set or am I missing something there?

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
If you had a low tire sensor fault while the vehicle was in storage but have now filled the tire with the proper air specification but are still showing a low pressure fault.The tire pressure sensors will go into a "sleep mode" when a vehicle is stationary to conserve battery power. The sensors do not transmit information while in sleep mode. It will be necessary to wake them up so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information.There is a procedure using a TPMS tool to wake them up.

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair LLC
PM Me or [email protected]
Remote or Local (On Site) Technical Repair

74SD455TA

Established Member
Thanks, I need the tool re-set. Actually I had a high pressure fault creation. When I had the car in storage, I over inflated the tires and then lowered the pressure to normal to operate the car. I guess what I did was not lower the inflation on one of the tires good enough and when I drove the car and it got heated up the pressure increased to a point to create the fault from over inflation. I immediately lowered the pressure in the tire but the TPMS hasn't come back.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Your Welcome! Just to make sure there are no other issues with the TPMS system you should scan the car for any TPMS related system Faults so that if there are any other issue that need to be corrected they are done. Anything could happen at anytime given time unfortunately in our ageing shelby's. Just my opinion. Dont hurt to check. Good luck @74SD455TA

74SD455TA

Established Member
That is a good thought and we will do that. In the old days, there was no such thing as a pressure system, and I liked those days better. However with these low profile tires nowadays there is no way to visually inspect a tire to know if it needs air or not so the system is really needed. The Shelby is aging just fine, its me I am worried about, ha ha.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
That is a good thought and we will do that. In the old days, there was no such thing as a pressure system, and I liked those days better. However with these low profile tires nowadays there is no way to visually inspect a tire to know if it needs air or not so the system is really needed. The Shelby is aging just fine, its me I am worried about, ha ha.
Sometimes all this technolgy stuff is just a Pain in the a$$. I agree sir!!! Have any other issue we are here to help.

74SD455TA

Established Member
Sometimes all this technolgy stuff is just a Pain in the a$$. I agree sir!!! Have any other issue we are here to help.
Well said. I still have my 1969 Camaro and 1974 SD 455 so I still live on the other side and to tell you the truth, I do like it, purely mechanical and if there is ever a problem with our electrical grid, those cars will still prowl the street. And thank you for the thought on the other issues as well and help is the best here.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
No problem! It was my pleasure and Im glad to help. Those are some really nice classic collectibles and desirable cars to have on hand. I bet they are fun to drive and an awesome alternative to these more modern technically advance cars we have today.

74SD455TA

Established Member
Thank you, they are. The 69 RS/SS convertible (small block, couldn't do a big block, needed some assemblance of gas mileage) I have owned for over 40 years, bought it in college out a Arizona State and was such a joy with the top down out there. Growing up though, I was a Pontiac guy, my first car was a Pontiac Formula (which I destroyed not from accidents but from just being a kid) so needless to say, at some point, I just had to own a Super Duty car which I have owned for the past 13 years. Shelby, always yearned for one, could never afford one back in the day (like most of us) so when the 13's came out it was a no brainer for me to get one, that is after waiting a year for the prices to normalize. And you got it, Live life at Full Throttle!

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you, they are. The 69 RS/SS convertible (small block, couldn't do a big block, needed some assemblance of gas mileage) I have owned for over 40 years, bought it in college out a Arizona State and was such a joy with the top down out there. Growing up though, I was a Pontiac guy, my first car was a Pontiac Formula (which I destroyed not from accidents but from just being a kid) so needless to say, at some point, I just had to own a Super Duty car which I have owned for the past 13 years. Shelby, always yearned for one, could never afford one back in the day (like most of us) so when the 13's came out it was a no brainer for me to get one, that is after waiting a year for the prices to normalize. And you got it, Live life at Full Throttle!
LOL.......I could only give 1 thumbs up reply so here are 2 more....(y)(y). LIVE TODAY LIKE ITS YOUR LAST......thats my motto. Sounds like your doing the same. KUDOS!

OX1

Established Member
I agree the TPMS is annoying when it is present, but does not tell you anything except an idiot light has gone off. Anyway, I have 4 sets of wheels/tires for my 14 GT, and only two with TPMS sensors. My drag setup has been on the car for multiple days and hours of driving, with only putting back a set of tires with sensors and a bit of driving to make the system happy again. But here is the wake up tool.

The second option is use FORSCAN and shut off the factory system.

The 3rd option is to not only shut off the factory system, but get an aftermarket display that actually tells you tire pressure. This one works with the Ford factory sensors you already have. In my case, I got it as I run DR's @ 22-24 PSI, and the factory system is unhappy with anything below 28. It blends in pretty well in the dash cig lighter spot also.

20210708_133709.jpg

20210715_103809.jpg

Even reads temp if you care.

20210708_191305.jpg

74SD455TA

Established Member
Idiot light, I love that, its true, exactly what it is.... idiot lights are OK, thats all my 69 Camaro has in it, put it this way, that was all I ever needed, the rest comes from observation and that is lost art today.

Users who are viewing this thread