Tire Opinions...

Montanasvt

Established Member
I just got enough money saved up to purchase some wheels for my 11 GT. I've been looking at the AMR wheel and tire package just because they look really good and they are definitely a good bang for the buck. What I really hate about the kit though is the tire options. You only get to choose between Stock Pirelli's or Sumitomo HTR III's... The tread pattern isnt that good looking which stinks, and im not too sure on which one performs better. Now my question to you guys... Which Tire would you go with? And for what reason? Also, is getting KWD's worth an extra $600 and having to go get them mounted and balanced and worry about the shop scratching my rims.? I know these tires look amazing and from what I hear perform pretty well. Just not sure if its worth the money or hassel because I want a tire that atleast hooks in 2nd...

BADBOSS

Established Member
I love my Pirelli summer tires, way better than any all season out there! But they are spendy!

B.Richards

Established Member
just buy the wheels then order some Michelin pilot super sports from tirerack.

Re they that good? I mean.... they should be for the price! I love my P Zero tires just wondering if it's worth it seems to me like you really like them judging on your post.

M3_Dust

Established Member
Re they that good? I mean.... they should be for the price! I love my P Zero tires just wondering if it's worth it seems to me like you really like them judging on your post.

they are excellent tires, right now they are the pinnacle of maximum performance street tires, read some of the reviews and tests on tirerack, don't just take my word for it

I also had them on the car I just traded in for the Mustang, the P Zeros are OK but cost more and offer inferior grip, performance and treadlife. I've also had several sets of PS1 and PS2's and the new PSS are definitely the best yet from Michelin.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Yokohama AD08s b/c they are the best high performance street tire currently available.

M3_Dust

Established Member
Yokohama AD08s b/c they are the best high performance street tire currently available.

AD08's are in a different performance category than either the stock P Zeros or Michelin Pilot Super Sports (Ultra-high performance summer vs Maximum-performance summer), the AD08's have higher maximum dry grip once they have been heat cycled but have a much lower treadwear rating, a lower speed rating (W vs Y) and will last significantly less time than something like a PSS (6-8k miles typical treadlife vs 20-30k)

if your primary use of your car is to drive to and from your local racetrack with most of your time spent doing laps on the dry circuit, and you plan on replacing your tires frequently and have an unlimited budget to do so, then a tire like the AD08, bridgestone RE11 or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup is probably the right choice for you

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
^ I got 13k out of AD08s on my STI with 1 track day on them as well. Well within what I expect for a performance car on a performance tire. I'd hedge my bet that the STI was harder on tires than the mustang will be but I haven't had the 5.0 to the track yet and I've only had if for 3 months.

Griever423

Established Member
^ I got 13k out of AD08s on my STI with 1 track day on them as well. Well within what I expect for a performance car on a performance tire. I'd hedge my bet that the STI was harder on tires than the mustang will be but I haven't had the 5.0 to the track yet and I've only had if for 3 months.

The mustang is a lot harder on tires in my experience than my STi was. I ended up having the rotate one front tire on the second day at an HPDE due to the sidewall beginning to chunk really bad. Of course I was running stock alignment specs which absolutely had a lot to do with it. The car being a fair bit heavier doesn't help at all I'm sure.

alex12gt

Established Member
i bought sve drifts and latemodel had nitto 275/35/19s but i didnt want to go with that small of a profile so i ordered the rims from them and ordered 275/40/19 falkens from discount tire and oem tpms sensors from blue oval and got lucky and had a buddy of mine mount them up for free.....

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
The mustang is a lot harder on tires in my experience than my STi was. I ended up having the rotate one front tire on the second day at an HPDE due to the sidewall beginning to chunk really bad. Of course I was running stock alignment specs which absolutely had a lot to do with it. The car being a fair bit heavier doesn't help at all I'm sure.

Yeah I wasn't really sure. I'd figured the weight difference would contribute a bit. But I also thought 400hp at 4 wheels instead of two would also chew them up more. Running stock camber definitly was probably the biggest contributing factor to the increased degredation though.

Users who are viewing this thread