Tire help please!!!

melissa809

Established Member
Hey guys...I need new tires for my 09 GT500 vert. I want the best tire...obviously....for my needs. I am keeping the car on stock rims and want an all weather tire for street driving. I need something better than the stock tires. I was going to go with the Nitto 555 Extreme Performance but read that they wear very quickly and suck in the rain and colder temps. I have to have my tire shop order my tires ASAP so I need to make a decision. I looked at the Hankook Ventus V12 which got good reviews...but correct me if i am wrong....i don't think they will fit on my stock rims.

Some more info...my car is NOT my daily driver, but every once in awhile you get caught in rain...lol. Also, in the winter months, I sometimes like to take my car out for a spin....say 40 degree weather....no snow, of course. So these are my "variables"....lol.
Thanks in advance
melissa

Kewlv8

Established Member
Hey guys...I need new tires for my 09 GT500 vert. I want the best tire...obviously....for my needs. I am keeping the car on stock rims and want an all weather tire for street driving. I need something better than the stock tires. I was going to go with the Nitto 555 Extreme Performance but read that they wear very quickly and suck in the rain and colder temps. I have to have my tire shop order my tires ASAP so I need to make a decision. I looked at the Hankook Ventus V12 which got good reviews...but correct me if i am wrong....i don't think they will fit on my stock rims.

Some more info...my car is NOT my daily driver, but every once in awhile you get caught in rain...lol. Also, in the winter months, I sometimes like to take my car out for a spin....say 40 degree weather....no snow, of course. So these are my "variables"....lol.
Thanks in advance
melissa

For stock size that can handle all-weather, I would look only at the BFG-KDWs. Do a search on these on the GT500 forums, they have very good reviews and are less expensive than the goodyears. Use the stock sizes. Good luck.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
whats wrong with the Nitto 555 Extreme Performance, they should be good for all year long. now the 555R are not the best in the Rain

melissa809

Established Member
whats wrong with the Nitto 555 Extreme Performance, they should be good for all year long. now the 555R are not the best in the Rain

Can I get those for my STOCK rims?..I just looked up the BFG KDW and they don't make them for the fronts. I'm not too knowledgeable on tires. I'm thinking i just use the same specs that are on my stock tires and search for other tires with the same specs. Am I correct?????

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
My tuner swears by nitro invos. Says they have great traction in rain and can handle the power of the car to a certain degree. Just depends on your mods. When it's time for me to upgrade. Probably going that route unless something better is out.

melissa809

Established Member
A qustion on the nittos. The website says they are for summer anddry conditions. Also, my front stock tire has 99W on it....and the Nittos for my fronts say 100W. Forgive my ignorance...but what does this mean?

Kewlv8

Established Member
Can I get those for my STOCK rims?..I just looked up the BFG KDW and they don't make them for the fronts. I'm not too knowledgeable on tires. I'm thinking i just use the same specs that are on my stock tires and search for other tires with the same specs. Am I correct?????

Is the Vert different than the coupe in tire size.

The front should be 255/45/18. KDWs come in that size.

The rear should be 285/40/18. KDWs come in that size.

I am running Nitto 555r drag radials on stock rims on the back. They are a tad taller than stock, but not much, and much wider. They are 305/40/18s, they do fit, and I only expect them to last about 12k miles. Do not try to put 305/45s on the back, too tall.

melissa809

Established Member
Is the Vert different than the coupe in tire size.

The front should be 255/45/18. KDWs come in that size.

The rear should be 285/40/18. KDWs come in that size.

I am running Nitto 555r drag radials on stock rims on the back. They are a tad taller than stock, but not much, and much wider. They are 305/40/18s, they do fit, and I only expect them to last about 12k miles. Do not try to put 305/45s on the back, too tall.

Yeah...that is my tire size....maybe I missed it. Okay....so basically...now I am trying to decide between the Nitto's or the KDW's

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yeah...that is my tire size....maybe I missed it. Okay....so basically...now I am trying to decide between the Nitto's or the KDW's

since its not your DD, then KDWs or the 555R would be a better tire for the Rear

i would say if you modded any more than stock running a

255/45 R18 front 555 or KDW
305/35 or 305/40 R18 KDW or 555R is you best setup

Last edited:

melissa809

Established Member
It's not my daily driver...but i do alot of car cruises..not too much track time, really. Also, could you tell me what the 99w means on my front tires?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
It's not my daily driver...but i do alot of car cruises..not too much track time, really. Also, could you tell me what the 99w means on my front tires?

the W is speed rating which is good up 168MPH, Y means 186MPH

Kewlv8

Established Member
I checked the BFG KDW site again and they didn't have tires in 285/40 ..

There are a few postings floating around the the KDWs may be replaced with a new tire from BFG, or drop some sizes, which 'may' explain some of the stockouts you have seen on some sites. If you don't have DR's on the back, you really do want a matched set of the same 4 tires all around. The Nitto 555 (Not 555r) seem like a solid tire, so you can't go wrong there either.

melissa809

Established Member
And the sizes you quoted above will fit my stock rims? Also, my car rarely sees the track....I like to do some street racing and basic cruising....the setup you quoted still stands?

Kewlv8

Established Member
And the sizes you quoted above will fit my stock rims? Also, my car rarely sees the track....I like to do some street racing and basic cruising....the setup you quoted still stands?

I have stock rims, and have the stock Goodyears upfront still, and the 555R Drag Radials in the rear. They are great to hookup on the street, but not made for the rain. The 555r I have on the rears is 305/40/18, and fit fine on the rim. Nitto DRs run a bit narrow, so they are really more like 295's. My care is a weekend driver, so I will get the same tires next time...and maybe put Nitto 555 on the front. Want to see some pics?

melissa809

Established Member
I have stock rims, and have the stock Goodyears upfront still, and the 555R Drag Radials in the rear. They are great to hookup on the street, but not made for the rain. The 555r I have on the rears is 305/40/18, and fit fine on the rim. Nitto DRs run a bit narrow, so they are really more like 295's. My care is a weekend driver, so I will get the same tires next time...and maybe put Nitto 555 on the front. Want to see some pics?

Yes! I would love to see some pics. Also, though, I think the regular 555's will be better for me. I really don't race the car much. Your occasional street race and i'm doing the track events at Mustang Week. So, if I go for the regular 555's....I should stick with the same specs,no?

255/45
285/40

The reason I am thinking to not go with the 555r is because I'm assuming they won't last as long as the 555's and are less forgiving in the rain than the 555's. Am I correct?

Kewlv8

Established Member
Yes! I would love to see some pics. Also, though, I think the regular 555's will be better for me. I really don't race the car much. Your occasional street race and i'm doing the track events at Mustang Week. So, if I go for the regular 555's....I should stick with the same specs,no?

255/45
285/40

The reason I am thinking to not go with the 555r is because I'm assuming they won't last as long as the 555's and are less forgiving in the rain than the 555's. Am I correct?

Yep, the 555r drag radials will suck in the rain, and not last as long as the 555. However, they grip on the street like glue, and the 305's look mean. For city driving and such, you are prolly better off with the standard 555.

Here's the 305/40s

lowered3.jpg

SDC10848b.jpg

nitto305.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread