tire dilemma...which 315's on a lowered car?

spree

Established Member
OK...I've got it narrowed down between Nitto DR's 315/35/17 and GS-D3's 315/35/17. My car is lowered with H&R SS's and I will be shaving my IRS bolt.

Now...I know the Nitto's will fit without spacers with this setup, but what about the GS-D3's? I've heard that they might.

I want to avoid running wheel spacers at all costs (unless I can get away with a 1/8" spacer or so) due to potential rubbing issues (I rub on the freeway with the setup I have in my sig).

I know the Nitto's grip better in the dry, and the Nitto's will be $200 cheaper...but I love the look that the extra 1" of section width on the GS-D3's gives, and the GS-D3's are a bit more durable and better in the rain.

Helllppp!!!!

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I don't see anywhere where you mention what wheels you'll be using. Your sig says stock wheels. You aren't thinking about 315 GS-D3s on stock wheels... or are you? :??:

spree

Established Member
nope...sorry, I'll be using 17x10.5 chrome 03 replicas with either of these tires and ditching the 1" spacers.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
you guys might want to jack your car up and look if the tire is hitting the bolt. If it is, you're screwed if the suspension becomes unloaded when driving. Sure it will clear the IRS bolt, but you need to focus on if the suspension becomes unloaded:

nitto 555r 315's with 17x10.5 rims, had to shave the bolt about half or not as much, and added a 1/4" hubcentric spacer.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
spree said:
GS-D3's 315/35/17...
I want to avoid running wheel spacers...
I'm not sure there's any way you'll be able to run 10.5" wheels with GS-D3 315s without using spacers of some sort. Lowering the car helps, but it's not like you pick up an extra 1/2" of tire clearance by doing so.

Here's Hissman's quote from THIS thread:

I have the GS-D3's on a 10.5 03/04 Cobra wheel. and I had to grind the IRS bolt, and use a minimum 1/2 inch spacer. I am now exactly 1/4 inch away from the shaved IRS bolt. Without the spacers you can forget about the bolt being your problem. I was actually rubbing against the IRS frame. I am lowered about 1 3/4 in the rear with Eibachs that I cut a 1/2 of a coil off of.
There are lots of people with that wheel/tire combo...I'm just not sure anyone's been able to make it work without using at least a 3/8" spacer. If you went with Sumitomo or Dunlop 315s, your chances of not needing spacers would be a lot better.

Last edited:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
spree said:
...so would Nitto's work with just a shaved IRS bolt for sure?
Yes, I believe that a little bolt shaving is all you'll need in that case.

One note about Nitto 315s on 10.5" wheels: Some people have commented that 315 Nitto DRs look small on those wheels. I had BFG 285s on 10.5" wheels (about the same width as Nitto 315s, believe it or not) and I didn't care for the way they looked. The wheel lip actually extended out further than any part of the tire's sidewall. If you look closely at the diagram below, you can see what I'm talking about:

TIRES.gif

I'm not trying to talk you out of them, just letting you know before you pull the trigger and buy something.

astippich

Established Member
I would recommend running the lfp spacer even with the nitto's simply for the look. The rear tires sit in the perfect spot with this combo on our cars.

Users who are viewing this thread