Tire decisions

mikesyellocobra

Established Member
Hey guys, I need some more advice. I'm going to be getting wheels and tires with my tax refund, and I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible while retaining quality. I've found the Sumitomo HTR Z and the Nitto NT555, both in 315/35/17. I know the Nittos are better, but I can save about 120$ by going with the Sumitomo. For a car with the mods in my signature, would the Nittos be worth it? Or could I hook up just fine with the Sumitomos?

Thanks for for the help guys!

:burnout:

AMWill

Hey guys, I need some more advice. I'm going to be getting wheels and tires with my tax refund, and I'm trying to do it as cheaply as possible while retaining quality. I've found the Sumitomo HTR Z and the Nitto NT555, both in 315/35/17. I know the Nittos are better, but I can save about 120$ by going with the Sumitomo. For a car with the mods in my signature, would the Nittos be worth it? Or could I hook up just fine with the Sumitomos?

Thanks for for the help guys!

:burnout:

Hey Mike,

Glad to hear your picking up a set of wheels/ tires! Your car is going to look great!

I am a huge fan of the Cobra style wheels, I ran them on my 2004 and could not have been happier.

Are you looking at the Staggered Deep Dish 2003 Cobra Style Chrome Wheel & Sumitomo Tire Kit?

I ran that setup personally and had no problems with traction. Given the Nittos will be better tire all around, for a daily/ street driven car I do not see you having any problems with the Sumitomos.

If money is an issue, save the money and go with them, you will not be disapointed.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will

mikesyellocobra

Established Member
Hey Will! Thanks for the fast response as always. I was actually looking at the normal dished wheels; I think the deep dishes look weird without a different color for the lip, like the black/polished lips.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I read through the reviews on them on AM and found them maddeningly unhelpful. I saw where the guy said his bolt on 2002 GT spun them just as bad as the stock 245, while another said that he hooked fine with 420rwhp. I'M glad to get some helpful, first hand feedback.

Clayton351

Established Member
I have ran the sumitumos and while they did spin they were very controllable while spinning. More sothan any other tire I've used.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
Sumitomo was the absolute worst tire I've ever had on my car. Spend the extra few bux and get something you won't regret.

mikesyellocobra

Established Member

thumper

Established Member
Have you seen the mickey thompson street comp. I got my 315's from summit racing for $151 a piece, and so far I really like them.

Tickle

Established Member
Nitto.

Spend the extra cash on them. My sumitomos were crap after 5k miles. You get what you pay for.

Rick98Z

Established Member
I would vote for the nitto's over the sumitomos. I had expensive falken 315/30/18 on my mystic that hooked up great but they are like $450 a tire...I just did a deal with a guy to swap wheels and tires so now I have the mickey thompson steet comp 315/35/17 but haven't driven on them yet to try them...

bumsoil

Established Member
Sumitomo was the absolute worst tire I've ever had on my car. Spend the extra few bux and get something you won't regret.

This 100%. Get 555's and decide from there. They are a good all around performance tire.

AMWill

Hey Will! Thanks for the fast response as always. I was actually looking at the normal dished wheels; I think the deep dishes look weird without a different color for the lip, like the black/polished lips.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I read through the reviews on them on AM and found them maddeningly unhelpful. I saw where the guy said his bolt on 2002 GT spun them just as bad as the stock 245, while another said that he hooked fine with 420rwhp. I'M glad to get some helpful, first hand feedback.

AMWill,
would you guys be able to price match that? I would like to order the tires from you guys so I can get them mounted and balanced all at once. Let me know please!
Mike

Hey mike,

No problem at all and I appreciate the kind words, that's what I'm here for.

In regards to the price matching, I only have one word- Absolutely!

Shoot me a PM and I'll get you all setup!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will

Tickle

Established Member
Nitto.

Spend the extra cash on them. My sumitomos were crap after 5k miles. You get what you pay for.

Just confirmed this today! I finally had some new nt555 tires installed and Wow what a difference!! It seems to have solved a vibration issue I was having at certain highway speeds!

Maybe I received a bad set of sumitomos, but damn they were awful. I just didn't know my car enough when I got them.

Looks like AM is gonna hook you up with the nittos, you'll be glad that you went with them.

AMWill

Just confirmed this today! I finally had some new nt555 tires installed and Wow what a difference!! It seems to have solved a vibration issue I was having at certain highway speeds!

Maybe I received a bad set of sumitomos, but damn they were awful. I just didn't know my car enough when I got them.

Looks like AM is gonna hook you up with the nittos, you'll be glad that you went with them.

Hey Tickle,

I do have to agree with you on the fact that the Nittos are a better all around tire.

From my personal experience the Sumitomos have done me well, but hey, who knows!

I appreciate the kind words and we will definitely be hooking OP up with whatever he decides to go with!

-Will

Tickle

Established Member
I can't say enough about these Nittos, it's like a whole new car. I know you can't knock the sumis b/c you sell them but I can. There is no comparison. They don't belong on a mustang. I'm excited that nittos are so great and pissed at the same time that I've waited so long to replace the tires.

I also can't say enough about AM, yall always hook me up. I'm running out of things to buy from yall lol. Make nittos happen for the OP, it's a "moral imperative"

AdderMk2

It's nice to finally see someone who shares my perspective about those tires. I personally have run just about every tire on the market. While I understand that times are tough, and not everyone can drop a grand for quality tires, I can't justify ever putting a junk tire on my car again.

In all the years that I have been working on cars, I have yet to see a set of Nitto tires stand up to the abuse that the average person puts a set of tires through, better than a quality brand like BFG, Goodyear, and Continental. With that being said, I do have a set of NT555Rs on the back of my Cobra. While they have been a decent tire (they hold air and don't vibrate) I will probably never buy them again. Granted, my "street car" exceeds the standards that most will attain, or desire.

Before this turns into a complete rant, I will just sum this up by saying that I know there are better tires out there than what is offered as a "standard", and I wish people would stop buying junk that "their friend who had some" said they were great.

LDC2335

Established Member
I had the sumi HTR Z III's and they wore badly and didnt last long at all. I'd go nitto based on what Ive heard. I am running BFG KDW 2's and have extremely impressed and now that they are done Im having Michelin pilot super sports put on Sunday. Had American Muscle carried a 295/35/18 nitto Invo's, I would have spent my money there instead of tire rack.

On a side note. When I was shopping for tires at AM, they had the Mickey Thompson street radials on clearance in the sizes your looking for. Search their tires individually and you'll see them. 03 deep dish cobra's in chrome with the MT tires was only going to run me $12XX or so with the forum discount. I just couldn't part with my hyper-coated fr500's quite yet.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mickey-thompson-performance-tires.html

Users who are viewing this thread