Tire decisions driving me nuts!

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
Let's start with the rear.

I have decided to run the NT05R's. I am leaving my rim stock. So my original plan was just to slap on the same size tire as they come with. 285/40/18's. This will work nicely since Nitto makes the NT05R's in that size... but wait... I heard I might be able to fit the NT05R's 305/45/18's on my stock rim? Is this true? Does this create to much bulge? Won't it make the speedo off? (It will be getting tuned soon anyway)

Now for the fronts.

NT05 come in a 275/40/18 which I would love to run but am not sure about the sidewall height. I am NOT lowering the front of the car so the 255/45/18 looks right as it sits. I understand the sidewall height is a percentage of the width so the 40 might be perfect. Will a 275 be too wide for the front of this car? Or shall I stick with my original plan and go with a set of BFG KDW II 255/45/18's?

Feedback/Advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
look at the overall diameter on the Nitto site - the NT05 seems to run tall. They also give a suggested rim width for each size. Keep in mind that getting it on the rim doesn't mean it "fits". Too narrow of a rim, and you will bulge in the center and not get the right contact patch and wear them out faster.

You can sometimes find widened stock rims on the cheap in the Market section here.

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
look at the overall diameter on the Nitto site - the NT05 seems to run tall. They also give a suggested rim width for each size. Keep in mind that getting it on the rim doesn't mean it "fits". Too narrow of a rim, and you will bulge in the center and not get the right contact patch and wear them out faster.

You can sometimes find widened stock rims on the cheap in the Market section here.

Ya i have looked at their site and the recommended rim width's per tire.

I just would think the 305 would be to wide a tire and 45 height would be to tall for the Shelby. That is why I am looking for input directly from people who may have experimented with these setups...?

If nothing else, I will prob just run the 285's out back and the 255's up front. a NT05R will be 1 million times better then these F1's anyway and the difference between a 285 and a 305 is only like .65 inches.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Go with the 275/40/18 NT05 up front and the 285/40/18 NT05R out back. The 305/45/18 is way too tall, unless you want them just for drag racing and you have 4.10 gears. JMHO

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
Go with the 275/40/18 NT05 up front and the 285/40/18 NT05R out back. The 305/45/18 is way too tall, unless you want them just for drag racing and you have 4.10 gears. JMHO

Thanks for the advise. I will not be doing any drag racing (legally anyway); I will however be doing road course fun at a road course used by Roush and some others...

so the 275/40 will be about the same radius height as the 255/45?

Thanks!

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Based on the last post I'd really not recommend that rear tire, IMHO. There may be differeing views but, I spent 20 yrs drag racing, and over the last 7 yrs I'm only road racing now, bikes and cars. My GT500 runs Nitto's on the street, with that drag radial in the rear in the 305, but I'd never take those on the road course, the car would be floating all over the place. If you're not drag racing or street racing or addicted to straight line bursts, I'd really recommend another tire selection if you plan on trackdays. And a 45 series tires will give a smooth street ride, or sidewall forgiveness on drag racing, but on a road course, it'll float you back & forth on every turn. Just my 2 cents. For my street & road course driving I use Michelin Pilot Super Sports, on the GT500 I use 275 F, 295 R in a 30 series. I use them, much larger, on my Viper. And I'll argue all day that they are the best performance, street/trackday, tire period ... and God knows I've gone thru a lot of friggin tires the past 7 yrs. But again just IMHO, not meaning to make anything more difficult, I know tire choice can be a PITA.

Dave.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Thanks for the advise. I will not be doing any drag racing (legally anyway); I will however be doing road course fun at a road course used by Roush and some others...

so the 275/40 will be about the same radius height as the 255/45?

Thanks!

Overall diameter, the 275 will be about a 1/2" smaller (radius is 1/4" less).

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
perhaps the toyo r888's would be something to consider....... they would excel on a road course and work great at the strip with proper psi

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Isn't one NT05 a road tire and the other a drag version...NT05R?

Look at the Conti DW over the KDW 2

Last edited:

cluscher

Established Member
If you're going to be open tracking at all don't use a drag radial in the rear (dangerous). The Hankook RS-3 is a very sticky, extreme performance tire that is fine on the street and reasonably priced. A squared 285/35/18 setup on stock rims will work great. They're about an inch shorter than stock and look fine if you're lowered. Adjust the tire revs/min with your tuner and you're all set.

Users who are viewing this thread