tips on valve cover removel and install

mcaligiuri

Established Member
good luck on that, which side, if its the drivers side it is a pain. Took me like 1 hr to do it and i worked as a mechanic for a while. Key is to use the rtv gasket maker on the spark plug tubes to hold the gaskets on and the main one too. Just dont be like me and do it while they are still wet, it defeats the purpose. If i let it dry i could do it in like 5 mins.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
It sucks. The passenger side is not that bad, but the drivers side really sucks. You will have to unbolt the Master cylinder from inside of the firewall which really sucks if you are over 16 inches tall. Once you get it out of the way and the upper intake out of the way it is no big deal, but it can be a pain to get out and put back. Make sure that you a little RTV sealant on the gaskets and let them set up on the valve covers before you reinstall them. That way the gaskets do not move around. Also, there are two dime sized spots on the head where the timing cover seams come up that will need a touch of sealant to keep anything from leaking between them and the gasket.

-Jeff

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I'm sure the clerance under the dash is the same as a '95 ... I used to pull the seat out, and then you can lay down and be comfortable while you're working. It takes about 5 minutes to pull the seat. Your body will appreciate it, and you won't tear anything up getting under there ...

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I was to lazy to pull my seat, but if I had to do it again, the seat would be gone. :)

Users who are viewing this thread