Tips on Installing Even Flow Gen II Mod

03Gunner

Established Member
I just did this modification using the instructions from Lethal Performance and Suaveflooder's write up (http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-gen-ii-how-without-supercharger-removal.html) which was an excellent write up.

I just wanted to add some clarity to a couple things that were not clear to me when I was doing this modification.

Tip 1 - Removing the freeze plug:
When at the point of removing the freeze plug, the space is very tight, so I used a long pointy phillips screw driver straight down ( 90 degree angle as much as possible) at the 6 O'clock position of the freeze plug if you are facing the front of the car. Using a hammer I struck the screwdriver driving it down in order to push the opposite edge 12 O'clock positioin up out of the freeze plug hole. The of course grabbing it with pliers and removing it. You can look at this Youtube video as an example of how to remove the freeze plug. ([HOW TO] Remove Freeze Plugs - YouTube)
Originally when I read the instructions it mentioned spinning the freeze plug in the hole, I interpreted that as clock wise or counter clock wise, not realizing it meant flipping it in the whole.
Once I understood the method of removing the freeze plug, it came out fairly easy with a few taps with the hammer and screw driver.

Tip 2 - Installing alluminium fitting into freeze plug hole:
After I removed the freeze plug and I was installing the valve into the freeze plug hole. I coated it with petroleum jelly as indicated, but it did not want to go into the freeze plug hole, not to mention the space is so tight it makes it difficult to line it up perfectly. Note you have to be careful not to scar or pit the freeze plug hole by hammering fitting. After several pain staking tries I thought it was time to give it some thought and came up with an idea that made it easier.
I assembled the brass barbed fitting into the alluminum fitting and coated it with petroleum jelly as instructed, wrapped the assembly in a napkin and put it in my freezer for about an hour or so. This actually caused the alluminum fitting to contract. I was then able to take it out of the freezer and gently tap it into the freeze plug whole snuggly.
Tip 3 - Installing the screw for retainer plate:
I first put the alluminum retainer plate into place lining it up with the screw hole. As Suaveflooder mentioned in his write up I used a magnetic nut driver to gently put the screw in place. I used an open face wrench pointing straight down on the screw, then spun the wrench like a screw driver to get the screw threaded into the hole. Once a few threads were secured, you can use whatever you can get in there to drive it the rest of the way and tighten the screw.
Tip 4 - Re-Installing the Heater inlet hose:
After removing the restrictor from the heater inlet hose, when re-installing it. I used a magnetic pick up tool to fetch the original clamp from the pipe the heater hose connects to on back of the engine. Then put the clamp on the heater hose and install the hose by squeezing the clamp on the hose and pusing the hose back on the pipe. I crawled up under the engine to make sure it was secured correctly, because it was hard to tell from the top of the engine.

I hope this helps.

I got my Even flow Gen 2 parts from Lethal Performance. I thank them for making and quickly delivering quality products.

Users who are viewing this thread