Tips on installing ARH 1 7/8 LT header

Poisonous West

Established Member
Just finished installing American Racing 1 7/8 LT header on my 2011 GT500. My car is on placed on jack stands. It’s not that hard but will takes some time. A local performance shop quote me $800 to install the ARH LT header so I decided to take on this challenge myself. Also, I truly believe that I can do a MUCH BETTER job than most shop out there.

For those who want to save some $$$ by performing this task in their garage – it can be done but you would need another person help when installing the header especially tightening the OEM locking nuts – you do NOT want to strip the nut while tightening.

• You do NOT need to drop the K member nor the driver side engine mount casting in order to tighten the driver side nuts.
  • You will need the Craftsman adjustable angle wrench to get to the driver side 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] lower nut from the front – this will save you dropping the K member.
  • Have another person guide the wrench when tighten the driver side 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] lower nut front the front.
  • Make sure you cut out the extra length of the OEM exhaust studs so you can put the box end wrench when tightening the nuts.
  • Make sure you have several GOOD 13mm wrenches (combination, open ends, box end, angle wrench, etc). I have some good wrenches made by Snap-on.
  • You do NOT need to cut the driver side header flange to clear the dip stick tube.

I actually find it easier to tightening the driver side nuts than the passenger side – that’s assuming you have all the necessary wrenches.

Hope this help.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
I have done this twice now and agree it's not HARD but very time consuming and tedious. Both times I had a hard time primarily with the top bolt on the drivers side closest to the firewall. Aside from that one bolt, it's not terrible. Hardest part really is getting a good angle to wrench from.

I did not drop my k member but did remove the motor mount bracket on both sides as well as the starter. It may not be strictly required but does make life a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread