Tips at a Restaurant

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
I've been working in the restaurant business for two weeks and i've seen between 15-20% of the bill on average. When I go out to eat I usually leave 20%, 15% if the waiter sucks. what about you guys?

WizardsCobra

LTHL SVT
Established Member
I pretty much standard leave about 20%. Now a lot of my freinds who are poor and in college leave probably closer to 10-15%. There cheap bastards so thats why I always feel like I should tip more.

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
i had some college kids come in the other night and they didn't leave much either. i'm understand their situation, i'm broke too.

byeofcr

Established Member
i always leave a large tip, not that i have a lto of money to throw around but i udnerstand their plight. On a $40 bill ill leave 15 bucks or so.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I make it a point to leave more than 15%. I'll give 'em 5-10% if they do an absolutely horrible job without being busy.

SHOE

Boo-frickety-hoo
Established Member
20% if they're good. If the bill is extremely high it might come down. We were at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Atlanta and our bill for the 6 of us was $335.00, so we only left $40.00, but that's still a pretty good tip for an hour.

RollingOnChrome said:
Always $2.00..they should be greatful :thumbsup:

You're probably the type that treats them like crap, too, If the above is true, I despise people like you. I hope you don't ever go back to the same place twice... (how does spit taste, anyway?)

Bird

Old and tired............
Established Member
I normally go for 20%, 25% if it's great service. I absolutely REFUSE to tip for lousy service.

Bird

SHOE

Boo-frickety-hoo
Established Member
We frequent this local Mexican restaurant. Best fajitas in town. We go there so much (and we always get the same waiter - Jessie) they know our drink orders and all of our little idiosyncracies. We walk in the door and Jessie starts our drink order before we sit down. We always leave him a great tip because he treats us like kings. He's currently in Cancun for the next month visiting family so service won't be quite the same but the others are good, too.

Treat them nice and they'll do the same for you - usually.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
15-20% depending on how it rounds to the nearest dollar. No tip for jackasses. I do not penalize the waiter for orders the kitchen screws up.
Bigger tips when I'm in a great mood.

sub92loyill

short was never this wide
Established Member
RollingOnChrome said:

Your a bastard guy. With that tip only they make oooo $7.00 an hour. congrats. asswad

banshee400

Me and a friend frequent this pizza joint and go to the bar for our food she hooks it up very well she usally gets more money then the bill is for us. At other places usally 15/20%, but if the service sucks like at this on local mex rest they get a penny and its only this one location. My friend's girlfriend was a waitress and said a penny is worse then no tip its a real insult.

99cobradave

Established Member
RollingOnChrome said:

Damn. Sounds like my cheap-@ss father. He even refuses to tip if they're not female! You two shouldn't eat at restaurants with waiters. Stick to Furr's Cafeteria. That's just insulting.

I just keep it reasonable. Good service = good tip. I think anything over 15% is too much unless the service is first rate.

Just basing a tip on total bill is a bit silly. The breakfast waiters get screwed. Why does the $40 bottle of wine warrant a bigger tip than a cup o'joe?! The cup o'joe requires more service!!

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Depends on service, anywhere from zero to over 100%. I usually try to tip around the 20-25% if it is good service, but if I get treated like shit, and it is poor service, I tip poorly, or none at all. I am tip based on service, if it is GREAT, they get a great tip, ohh I waited tables too.

Users who are viewing this thread