Tinting Tail Lights - Problems?

CobraO4

Tuned by HBH
Established Member
I did a search on tinting tail lights but could not find out why no one just uses window or limo tint? Is there a reason why everyone is buying them for $59 - $65 dollars when you can just cut your own for like $10.

I must be missing something. Is there something special about the product from autobadges.com or do you think it's too time consuming or difficult to cut them yourself.

Will window tint work?

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
Yes it might work. I bought pre-cut film off ebay for 20.00.:shrug:

Last edited:

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
You have to use a vinyl film for the tails. Regular window tint will not work the same i believe. :shrug:

I bought mine off ebay for $20 and they look great!

CobraO4

Tuned by HBH
Established Member
When we tint taillights we use auto paint. Basf has a black tint for taillights and it looks awesome.

I read about the paint method. The only thing I don't like about that is you need to 1500 wet sand them first so there is no turning back. I was hoping that there was a better (reversable) way without spending $60. Thanks for the response :rockon:

blown86

FLPNOUT
Established Member
I read about the paint method. The only thing I don't like about that is you need to 1500 wet sand them first so there is no turning back. I was hoping that there was a better (reversable) way without spending $60. Thanks for the response :rockon:

Yeah that's the only drawback, there is no going back. There's more to smoking taillights than just using wet sand paper. The process that I use is sanding them, apply an adhesion promoter, 2-3 coats of smoke (depends on how dark you want them) and finally 2 coats of clearcoat. By the way $60.00 is cheap

Mel

Established Member
I used VHT Nite shades on mine.

Sanded them down, sprayed with nite shades, 3 coats of clear, then sanded and buffed. They came out great.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Yes it might work. I bought pre-cut film off ebay for 20.00.:shrug:

I went a similar route but had problems with my left tail light warping (due to high internal heat) after a couple of months. :eek: I then took off the overlays and decided to leave them off... :(

apexasphalt

Storm
Established Member
ditto on that. tint will warp your lights from the heat, had it happen to a buddy.this still might happen if you paint them though. haven't heard it though. just buy a new set of taillights and paint your old ones. then you can go back. really if you get a ticket your screwed.

Last edited:

BLKXTC

Established Member
My friend is a painter and he used a spray gun. He said he used clear coat and black? It looks factory, I got him to do the headlamps and tail lights. I have a black 04 with 15% window tint pure SEXY!:rockon:

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
I used VHT Nite shades on mine.

Sanded them down, sprayed with nite shades, 3 coats of clear, then sanded and buffed. They came out great.

VHT Nite Shades works fine without sanding first and it won't come off. Just wipe the lenses down with wax remover first. If you put more than 2 coats on, it gets 'textured' and needs to be wet sanded (1500 grit) and polished to get them shiny again.

By not sanding them down, you can always take them back to stock. To strip off the tint without f'n up the plastic, wipe the tint off with brake fluid (don't get it on the paint!) and then rinse them with water.

I just did a set on a black 2006 Maxima and they looked sick.

CobraO4

Tuned by HBH
Established Member
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. Since I still didn't hear about anyone using regular window tint it must not work or last. I would really like to hear if someone has tried it.... before I waste my time.

I may just have to but the autobadge product

vipergts281

Established Member
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. Since I still didn't hear about anyone using regular window tint it must not work or last. I would really like to hear if someone has tried it.... before I waste my time.

I may just have to but the autobadge product
You must have missed it above.

Tint traps heat which can warp your lights.

TrickStang37

Established Member
VHT Nite Shades works fine without sanding first and it won't come off. Just wipe the lenses down with wax remover first. If you put more than 2 coats on, it gets 'textured' and needs to be wet sanded (1500 grit) and polished to get them shiny again.

By not sanding them down, you can always take them back to stock. To strip off the tint without f'n up the plastic, wipe the tint off with brake fluid (don't get it on the paint!) and then rinse them with water.

I just did a set on a black 2006 Maxima and they looked sick.

+1 on the vht not needing sanding before. I've ran it before on other cars for years with zero issues. I've also done it with no clear coat on top and it's lasted years as well with a good shine. I did my girlfriends a couple weeks ago but I sanded it first and it DEFENITELY needed a clearcoat on top because I did sand prior to the night shades.

Knoxville COBRA

Established Member
Man just get the Autobadges and be done with it! This is my third Terminator and my and all three had Autobadges and ive NEVER had any kind of warpping.

Last edited:

CobraO4

Tuned by HBH
Established Member
You must have missed it above.

Tint traps heat which can warp your lights.

I did see that but I think he means any tint tends to warp the lights. I have read on here where the autobadge stuff which is a pretty good product has caused the problem in several cases. The only method that has not at least as far as I know is the nite shade paint

Thanks....

Users who are viewing this thread