Tint/exhaust ticket questions: MA

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Hello,

I recently got pulled over while cruising around a couple towns over by a State trooper. He was following me for a while until he decided to pull me over. My front windows were rolled down all day and my windows are tinted all the way around. If my windows are rolled down the whole time and he has no idea that my front windows are tinted can he tell me to roll them up to measure them?

Another quick question: How do they go about measuring "excessive noise" from my exhuast without some sort of meter like a DB meter? I was cruising at 35-40 in 4th gear when i was pulled over and at no time was my car excessively loud. I know my car is loud at WOT but not when im just cruising around.

Any comments or advice would be good. I am probably going to end up peeling my tint off anyways but i find it hard because it looks really good. Not sure if its worth a $250 ticket.:nonono:

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
Not sure about the tint q, but lemme ask you this...Did he use a decibel meter? If not, did you question him on it? Does your state have inspection stations that are equipped with said meters? If all else, contact an attorney and see what they say...

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Hello,

I recently got pulled over while cruising around a couple towns over by a State trooper. He was following me for a while until he decided to pull me over. My front windows were rolled down all day and my windows are tinted all the way around. If my windows are rolled down the whole time and he has no idea that my front windows are tinted can he tell me to roll them up to measure them?

Another quick question: How do they go about measuring "excessive noise" from my exhuast without some sort of meter like a DB meter? I was cruising at 35-40 in 4th gear when i was pulled over and at no time was my car excessively loud. I know my car is loud at WOT but not when im just cruising around.

Any comments or advice would be good. I am probably going to end up peeling my tint off anyways but i find it hard because it looks really good. Not sure if its worth a $250 ticket.:nonono:

As per your "rolled down" window argument, that holds no water. I would bet your vehicle has fixed windows that are also tinted that the trooper used to come to the conclusion, that your other windows were also tinted. Yes, he can ask you to roll up the windows to check the tint.

While some states require a decibel reading that exceeds the statute, others require only a comparison to other known entities or the ability of the trooper to hear the exhaust at a certain distance.

Users who are viewing this thread