Timing

Montanasvt

Established Member
Searched but didn't find much info. What is the stock timing on these cars? How much timing are yall running on your tunes? Email and Dyno tunes? At what point is too much on these cars with 93 octane?

cbrtrx

Established Member
There are a few variables like iat, ect, and load. Generally stock they see around 22 to 23 degrees of timing by 6500 rpm. I have also found no increase in power at over 23 degrees of timing on these cars with 93 octane, that is just my observation.

Last edited:

DIB5.0

Established Member
With 93 24*/25* of timing is safe and you do not want to go over 26*. But many tuners are making just as much power leaving the timing stock such as AED.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Well I can tell you that the MAX spark advance stock, Mediam/High Load above 4700rpm is about 30*

Will you get there? There are ALOT of variables, OP Tables, how much Knock sensors can add, lamda modifiers..ect

Figure ~23.

On the canned SCT Tunes, they add Global spark, and then allow the knock sensors to add something like 8*.

The only thing i have done with spark...it to retard spark for the NO2 tunes.

Chris

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Well I can tell you that the MAX spark advance stock, Mediam/High Load above 4700rpm is about 30*

Will you get there? There are ALOT of variables, OP Tables, how much Knock sensors can add, lamda modifiers..ect

Figure ~23.

On the canned SCT Tunes, they add Global spark, and then allow the knock sensors to add something like 8*.

The only thing i have done with spark...it to retard spark for the NO2 tunes.

Chris

So basically spark varies at all times depending on a wide variety of factors? The more I learn about tuning and this motor its starting to shape my opinion that all the #8 issues are related to hardware defect from FORD that they are not speaking of.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
So basically spark varies at all times depending on a wide variety of factors? The more I learn about tuning and this motor its starting to shape my opinion that all the #8 issues are related to hardware defect from FORD that they are not speaking of.

I was talking about Optimum Performance Mode aka WOT, but at light load..the spark varies GREATLY and thats why when people talk about spark, they normally are referring to WOT, because there are less variables and it does not change as much.

I dont know, #8 has not been an issue for me, I'v sprayed the car, and my car has to be one of the highest mileage 2012's there is at 18000 miles now. Pulled stock plugs and they all looked great! Only problem I see is oil being sucked into the intake via PCV, but a good oil separator will fix most of that.

Chris

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
I was talking about Optimum Performance Mode aka WOT, but at light load..the spark varies GREATLY and thats why when people talk about spark, they normally are referring to WOT, because there are less variables and it does not change as much.

I dont know, #8 has not been an issue for me, I'v sprayed the car, and my car has to be one of the highest mileage 2012's there is at 18000 miles now. Pulled stock plugs and they all looked great! Only problem I see is oil being sucked into the intake via PCV, but a good oil separator will fix most of that.

Chris

ahh ok, gotcha

oh 2012 14k so am pretty close to you :beer:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member

I have to disagree with this. Observable evidence points the opposite direction.

If it was a hardware condition, you would likely still be seeing these crop up. However, reports of the issue have pretty much stopped at this point as tuners have modified their tune outputs. There's been a couple tuners that have even mentioned they are doing tunes differently now. Most importantly leaving the knock sensor sensitivity at stock levels.

Hyperutectic pistons, 11:1 compression, too much timing and a bad tank of gas will kill your #8. It's as simple as that.

It's not a hardware issue, it's an issue of running the ragged edge on a street car that has to deal with things like a possible bad tank of fuel.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
I have to disagree with this. Observable evidence points the opposite direction.

If it was a hardware condition, you would likely still be seeing these crop up. However, reports of the issue have pretty much stopped at this point as tuners have modified their tune outputs. There's been a couple tuners that have even mentioned they are doing tunes differently now. Most importantly leaving the knock sensor sensitivity at stock levels.

Hyperutectic pistons, 11:1 compression, too much timing and a bad tank of gas will kill your #8. It's as simple as that.

It's not a hardware issue, it's an issue of running the ragged edge on a street car that has to deal with things like a possible bad tank of fuel.

maybe the bad batch has been cycled out, and the ones that havent could be owned by people who dont even modify the car. I mean if it happened to a couple of stock vehicles that pretty much rules out tune related 100%. I can totally see you point though and at this moment, its just speculation. Maybe its a combination of both scenarios...one just facilitating the other.

djclark

Established Member
No. It was tuners running their toons too close to the ragged edge. High timing + turning down knock sensitivity = boom.

maybe the bad batch has been cycled out, and the ones that havent could be owned by people who dont even modify the car. I mean if it happened to a couple of stock vehicles that pretty much rules out tune related 100%. I can totally see you point though and at this moment, its just speculation. Maybe its a combination of both scenarios...one just facilitating the other.

Montanasvt

Established Member
Who is the best tuner as far as safety and performance ot top two?

Everyone has their own preference. Any well known tuner will be able to tune your car with good success. Nearly everyone on here will tell you to use their tuner. That is because they done a good job on their car. With that being said I would say use Rick @ Amazon Tuning Solutions. I have not had my car tuned by him yet (Financial reasons & not modded all the way yet), but I will say I have had 3 cars tuned by him and this one will be the 4th. He is a great tuner and will tell you in detail what he is doing with your car, and make great power out of it while remaining very safe and reliable. He will help you through datalogging your car and send tune revisions fairly quick. On top of that his customer service is awesome. just my .02$.

Users who are viewing this thread