Timing question...

MACHSTR

Hello all,
It's great to become a member here. I have a 2004 mach 1 that is mostly stock... for now! I just purchased a 4.6 NA aluminator engine from an individual who was in the process of competing it but did not finish it all the way, lost interest and decided to sell it. I really wanted to build a motor with alitle less compression because I already had a eaton swap kit, but it was a steal, so i may swap the 2.76 pulley thats on it for a slightly bigger pulley to run alitle less boost, but anyway that's another thread, into my problem... It was a shortblock when he got it and he put some resurfaced 03 cobra heads on it with cometic gaskets and arp studs. He stopped in the process of installing a ford racing timing kit. I have read the directions and searched the forums and understand for the most part how to do the timing correctly from a clean slate with the heads off the motor but the heads are already on and torqued down. The keys on all four cam shafts are not facing straight down towards the deck like they should according to the directions and the 2 small cam chains and tensioners are already on on both sides, the copper links only line up on the sprocket timing marks on one side. The crank is at about 10 o'clock. I believe this is tdc. I want to do this without having to take the heads off. Can I take of the two chains and turn the cams safely with the crank at this position without damaging the valves, or is taking the heads off the only safe way? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have never timed a dohc motor. Thanks a ton, I have tried to search but haven't been able to find a good answer to fit my situation. Thanks guys for any input!

Users who are viewing this thread