Timing Marks

1993R

Established Member
Well for a year now I have had a chip sitting on my desk to install in the R. I finally decided to do it this afternoon. Now I need to back the timing back to 10 degrees btc. I can't see the timing marks due to a rust build up. I have cleaned most of the rust away and still can't see the marks. So I'm thinking of using paint/chalk to mark it. Anybody got a better idea or trick? Thanks

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Larry,

Definately put a little white stripe of paint on there. I keep one of those little touch-up containers of white in the garage for such uses. You can also use it on suspension nuts and just put a stripe of paint on the nut and tip of the bolt to see if anything is moving.

Tom

Saleenrose

Established Member
Only mark the 0 and the solid line on Harmonic Balancer and use a adjustable timing light, keep all possible mistakes out, later when you find the chip does not do as you want, you can adjust timing with out more marks.

1993R

Established Member
I used a silver Sharpe paint pen. It worked perfect. My sons helped me so it was a learning experience for them as well. Thanks for the help.

drkhrse

Established Member
1993R said:
Well for a year now I have had a chip sitting on my desk to install in the R. I finally decided to do it this afternoon. Now I need to back the timing back to 10 degrees btc. I can't see the timing marks due to a rust build up. I have cleaned most of the rust away and still can't see the marks. So I'm thinking of using paint/chalk to mark it. Anybody got a better idea or trick? Thanks

White-out works great. Same stuff you use on paper. I agree w/ Brent, Only mark TDC. If you dont have one, get an adjustable timing light.

Users who are viewing this thread