Timing Cover Removal

elyrain

Established Member
Does anyone know if it can be removed without lifting the valvecovers? I need to replace my timing chain tensioners and am looking for the easiest/fastest way to do it.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
well, aside from some RTV on the corners of the front of the VC, there is nothing holding the timing cover to the valve covers.

I suppose you could loosen the valve covers, and just lift the front of them a bit.

Note: This is not an approved technique, and I wouldn't do it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

01 Venom

Established Member
I took mine off with out removing the valve covers. You have to be VERY careful not to jack up the valve cover gasket doing it. when you go to put the cover back on user a touch of oil to slide it on.

Just go slow and dont be a beast about it

elyrain

Established Member
I'll try it but I'm not going to force anything. I think I do have to remove the 4 front oil pan bolts though right?

01 Venom

Established Member
Well givin what a royal PITA it is to get the drivers side valve cover off, its worth a shot doing it.

I was able to do it, just have to be careful and move slow

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
You can do it with them on... Its not that hard really...and if you are talking about the 4 bolts that go into the bottom of it through the oil pan, the answer is yes those need to come out.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Do it right and don't take short cuts. It always back fires on me when I do.
leaving the valve covers on is not short cut...

You can do it with them on... Its not that hard really...and if you are talking about the 4 bolts that go into the bottom of it through the oil pan, the answer is yes those need to come out.
that's correct. keep the valve covers on. there are 4 bolts at the front of the oil pan that need to come out. then there is 1 top mount bolt at each front corner of the valve covers(4 total). and then about 12ish bolts going around from the front. i think i remember a couple comming in from the sides because i remember a hang up with needing to take a power steering pump bolt out or something. if there are no other side bolts than i'm probably confusing it with somehting else.....

elyrain

Established Member
Thanks guys, I did the job yesterday and like 99rio said, you gotta remove the PS pump also, no biggie though. What I did is just loosened some of the valve cover bolts and the timing cover slide right off.

My only problem was renting this POS pulley installer and I got it stuck in the crank! So think morning I gotta remove it and just put the pulley back on. As soon as I get it running I'm going to post some info about the job and how ford has improved on the timing chain tensioners, if they work better.

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
Loosen all of the valve cover bolts and leave the valve covers on you will have no problems I promise..

Users who are viewing this thread