Timing cover leak

Hef

Established Member
SVTPeeps, pretty sure I may have a leak in my timing cover, not huge, just bothers me. This winter I plan to go twin screw and I worry it'll get worse. How difficult is this to remove and reseal? Weekend job? Can it be done with the engine in the car?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Worst is the lower pulley.

The bridge is easy. After all the bolts are out. If you remove the 2 studs the. Bridge will come out easy.

Valve covers Passenger was easy

Drivers side is a little harder

Hydro booster will need to be pulled forward. Some tilt engine

It has a reuse gasket.

At oil pan you add silicone and at head to valve cover (see manual for spots)

All day job. Solo.

Hef

Established Member
Thanks, I figured the lower pulley would be the worst

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you're careful you don't need to completely remove the valve covers to remove the timing cover. When I had to replace the front main seal on my 01 I left the valve covers in place with the bolts removed. Then I had a couple friends hold them up when I put the timing cover back in place. You just have to make sure the gaskets don't slide out.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Another thing if you didn’t know.

You can pull radiator with fan attached. Than cover ac coil with cardboard your elbows will be happy

Radiator fill tank. Look at bottom very close. These will get a crack after time I just replaced mine a couple yrs back. LMR sold oem replacement

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
any pics of the leak? Id hate to do all that shit if you can fix it without doing all that work.

If you do pull the timing cover dont forget the crank seal, my timing cover gasket set didnt include it.

Hef

Established Member
I just sprayed the K member and everything around there with Simple Green and sprayed everything off and took it for a drive. Letting it dry now and looks clean under there, I should be able to pinpoint it better. There is a possibility it is the oil filter adapter, I found the oil dripping from the line going into the front of the rack, that line also runs under the filter so I can see how it could travel down and look like it dripped on the floor under the crank/timing cover

Last edited:

Hef

Established Member
I'll get some pics, cooling the car down hoping I'll see where its seeping. It wasn't a huge leak so it may take some time.

Hef

Established Member
Update: It took me a few days to get it to seep, the first 2 pics are after my initial cleaning, the second two are with the leaking. I'm glad its this and not the timing cover. Thanks everyone.
20200811_112339.jpeg
20200811_105746.jpeg
20200813_090444.jpeg
20200813_090438.jpeg

Hef

Established Member
Well, maybe not. This picture is above the filter at the alternator bracket where the head meets the block. Any thoughts?
20200813_091342.jpeg
20200813_091323.jpeg

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you sure it's the timing cover? I thought my timing cover was leaking due to location of wet oil and drips. After a lot of cleaning and inspecting it was the oil cooler leaking. Rebuilt the cooler and leak was gone.

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

Hef

Established Member
It very well may be the oil cooler but it was wet above that in this picture. There's no leaking from the valve covers, seems like its by the alternator bracket. I assume that bolts to the head, whats weird is the oil on the top of the bolt.
20200813_091342.jpeg

etp2828

Established Member
I do too. Im going to take it all apart. I only used silicone at the oil pan and not the heads where it where they meet the block. I hate that I didn't do that. I attached a picture from the manual that says where to put the silicone.
3f589405dd60cdb6bdce0642abfc51e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread