Timing Cover Brackets, Bolts, and Timing Mark

Slowblack2v

Squirrel
Hey guys. I've attempted to do some research, but haven't found anything specific to my scenario, although I'm sure many others have done what I'm trying.

So what I've got:
65 Mustang. Mustang II suspension from Rod & Custom Motorsport.
The car had: 200 I6 w/ 3 spd manual
Swapping in: 96/97 Explorer 5.0 with 3bar heads. Using foxbody oil pan.
Converting motor to carb/distributed. T5.

So to start off, I'm trying to figure out where and what needs to be installed to set the timing correct on the motor. Most of what I've seen, is that a timing mark needs to be bolted on, but the confusing part is where. Apparently the water pump blocks it on the driver side of the motor? But my timing cover has a place to mount a crank sensor, mechanical fuel pump, and a dipstick hole (which I'll be blocking off), so I'm not sure it will mount over the crank sensor bracket.

Next is the brackets/pulleys. I'm just going with an alternator as far as engine accessories. Will I need to run a tensioner pulley, or is there a bracket that has adjustment that will work on the front of the late model 5.0 to mount an early alternator. Also, Im staying with a serpentine belt, so I'm keeping the factory harmonic balancer/crank pulley. Does this mean I have to swap the pulley on my alternator? I'm assuming my alternator I had on the I6 will work?

Last off is the bolt situation. But of course, i'll have no idea what spacers/bolt length I'll need until I have the timing mark/brackets I need. I've heard the ARP set is a joke.

Sorry for the long post guys, but I really would appreciate some help. All my buddies either have foxbodies or newedge cars. I'm the only one playing with a classic. Thanks. -Joe.

Users who are viewing this thread