Timing chain, tensioner help....atleast I think

SVTJONES

Established Member
I have come to the conclusion that my timing chain tensioners are bad. I hear a clicking sound coming from that area. It sounds like something is hitting the case and speeds up with the rpm's. One shop told me it was my lifters were bad and I paid to have them fixed as well as a head gasket set, water pump and timing chains replaced. Needless to say they fixed nothing, timing chain is still making the noise etc. Also, immediately after picking up the car it overheated because the NEW waterpump impellar split in half. I really thing they fixed nothing at all.

Anyways, does anyone have any other suggestions for what this clicking sound may be. If it is the timing chain then how hard is it to replace the chains and tensioners. I am trying to save $800 in labor cost. The car only has 70k on it and I am the second owner. The first owners were grandparents of friends that babied it. I am still trying to get use to this car, my other cars were all rx7's so I am not use to dealing with timing chains etc. Thanks

LLADNAR

Established Member
mine makes the same f-in noise, i am a Ford mechanic and i haven't figured it out,, does it sound like 2 hammers hitting each other, and only happens after it warms up? mine is quiet when its cold but loud as hell once warmed up. if it is just as i described i wouldn't bother with the chains, i put in a set with guides and new tensioners and still made the same damn noise i have give up on it and am now building a 3.0 for it.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
If they went to all that work and didn't replace the tensioners then you took it in the pooper bad. are you sure it just isn't 'noisy' injectors? Every Contour SVT I've been around has a 'click' from injectors. I know the pre-98s had an issue with the tensioners, but IIRC, it went away at warm up. I don't believe there really is a way to find out with just tearing into it and fixing it. If I were you, I might look into legal action against the service shop that supposedly fixed your car.

SVTJONES

Established Member
it makes the sound the same way no matter what the temp is outside or what the engine temp is. It speeds up with the rpms until a certain point and then it is not so noticeable when cruising. I hear it more when I let off the gas and let the rpms fall. Could this still be injectors? If it helps at all the car failed emissions by just a little on hydrocarbons, I attributed it to the timing chain. I have been driving the car like this for about 6 months now.

LLADNAR

Established Member
SVTJONES said:
it makes the sound the same way no matter what the temp is outside or what the engine temp is. It speeds up with the rpms until a certain point and then it is not so noticeable when cruising. I hear it more when I let off the gas and let the rpms fall. Could this still be injectors? If it helps at all the car failed emissions by just a little on hydrocarbons, I attributed it to the timing chain. I have been driving the car like this for about 6 months now.

i wonder if you aren't actually fighting carbon knock you may have so much bult up carbon on top of the pistons that it is ticking, clicking, or whatever. i won't even mention what most people do about it because i don't want to be resonsible for somebody f-in up their motor

austynn2001

i wonder if you aren't actually fighting carbon knock you may have so much bult up carbon on top of the pistons that it is ticking, clicking, or whatever. i won't even mention what most people do about it because i don't want to be resonsible for somebody f-in up their motor

Haha seafoam is the shit.

Users who are viewing this thread