Timing 00 GT Crank won't turn by hand to TDC

Stormtrooper00

Established Member
Alright my Stang was acting up bogging under load unplugged injector on cyl 8 no difference in idle so something in fuel system was part of problem but Broken timing chain guide was the culprit so got new timing kit oil pump and updated intake manifold fuel rails injectors fuel pump coils gaskets etc. Now had some issues removing chain and cams moved (not much) figured I'd adjust as needed but before uninstall of timing I couldn't get crank to turn to find TDC then realized I still had spark plugs in oops so removed them but crank would not move still my roommate (a self proclaimed mechanic( figured same as me it should be able to turn so I pushed in clutch to see if that would help he got to break free but for only half a turn or so maybe more... now only turns at BTDC 45 degrees either way for a total of only 90 degrees of movement after trying everythingI could find from place cams to valves being clear removing oil pump pulled the motor detached from transmission detached clutch and flywheel and STILL only 90 degrees of movement... Grrrrr I love this car and just put money into rims body repair (minor dents upgrade Cobra front end) and everything in the motor am lost and have done everything but remove heads themselves which now that weather is better I'm doing tomorrow but unsure if I need to remove cams first or can I leave them in.... My main question is WTF is wrong?? Second should be I need pull heads or buy used motor from online junkyards are not an option for me there is only one very small one near me for 100s of miles on Cali Oregon border I did find an 05. 4.6 2v Romeo from a Lincoln but unsure on Lincoln swap from 05 and it has a blown head gasket would this motor be worth 500?? Or find a lower end and slap my heads on? I don't know it's a stupid problem that didn't exist until I touched the damn thing please help been without my baby for nearly 2 months!!! Please help!!!

Sent from my R1 HD using the svtperformance.com mobile app

StalkerStang

Established Member
Pop out all the followers, that will force the valves closed.

Hopefully when your buddy force turned the engine, it didn't bend valves or worse....

With all the valves closed, re-time the engine. Then put all the followers back in and see if it spins freely. Hopefully there is no damage or your pulling heads off....

FalkenXC

I had to time my 4v this way as well to avoid this exact problem. I popped all of my followers out and rotates everything to the correct location then reinstalled and spun two full rotations to insure everything was buttoned up.

Any resistance is bad, because it is typically a valve hitting a piston. Like the other guy said, let's hope he didn't bend one! Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Stormtrooper00

Established Member
One question though as im a dyi'er and have touched almost everything on my car getting to know her but this being my first rebuild that wasn't a lawn mower motor (&that was a while ago) can I just remove heads or do I need to loosen followers or remove camshaft etc.? And do I need any specific told for the job such as spring compressor or anything like that? Or is it ok for me to yank the head probably an obvious question but can't find any definitive information online that isn't specific to camshaft installing or not very good head gasket repair videos.. I don't want to try and pull the head and lose an eye lol

StalkerStang

Established Member
There are lots of videos and guides online to tell you how to time a modular engine as well as removing the cylinder heads. I would do some research before you mess with anything. Modulars are not that complicated but still easy to get confused if you don't understand whats going on.

You could just loosen the cam towers and remove the cams with the towers and that in turn will relieve spring pressure and close the valves. Getting a spring compressor for modulars would help. I know Trickflow sells them among others.

Stormtrooper00

Established Member
Pulled one head and had 3 broken exhaust valves!!! Found my problem.. will what to do..Seek more power obviously but I'm not rich all at once at least so this will be a semi slow build should I go teksid block? I need to find one that can ship to me.. I would like teksid with trick flow heads but a grand a piece?? Is that right?? Oh it was the set is get them but 2500 for two heads.. Ouch...

StalkerStang

Established Member
Cheapest route would be to just have your heads gone through... Replace valves, check springs, guides, etc....

Find a 2V Explorer engine... Aluminum block and 2 valve PI heads ready to go.

Or spend some coin and make a Teksid 2V with TFS heads.....

Sluggie24

Established Member
Since it will be a slow build start looking around. Teksid blocks can usually be found on eBay for less than $500 and they ship. Look around for people parting out a car selling TFS heads for a reasonable price. They can be found here and there. I had a local friend of a friend offer me a set for $1200 last summer. Problem was I didn't have the car yet so I passed and they were gone in a week. (Still kicking myself for that one)

You can also save up your $ and just wait till the Black Friday sales this year. That's what I'm doing for my build. Most of the big places offer big savings (10-20%) on rotating assemblies, heads, cams etc.

Building for reliable high power cost big $. It's best to take your time, save up more than you think you will need and do tons of research so you do it right.

Stormtrooper00

Established Member
A teksid 2v tfs heads would be ideal!! Just unsure on how long I wanna have her sitting I wanted to get her back into some shows this summer! But I'll be looking around and see what I can do I may as well just build her once and build her right!!

Users who are viewing this thread