Timeslip: me vs. CRX

tapout632

Established Member
I did like 4 runs at the tracks with my 2001 Cobra (#86) and I just couldn't get into the high 13s. This was my best run and it was against a CRX who sadly "hung with me" I guess I just can't drive, what pissed me off the most is when people in the stands I found out they were like "Look at the Honda hanging with the COBRA!! My god!". Any tips on how do improve this and at least get into the high 13s? I shifted at 6,000 RPM and I ended the quarter mile right when I shifted to 4th gear from 3rd @ 6k. Yeah my 60 ft is HORRIBLE... I heated my tires and everything, maybe I just need different tires. I have Tubular Radial or whatever BF Goodrich. I launched at maybe around 3,000 RPM (early runs I launched at higher RPMS and I did worse)

heres the timeslip:
slip.jpg

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Not bad considering you were shifting way too early. If you shifted like you should you probably would have been in the 13s. A little better 60' and shifting and you would been there for sure.

tapout632

Established Member
shifting at 6,000 is too early? I thought that with these cars their horsepower peak is 6,000 RPM considering 6800 is redline I didn't really want to bring the car to redline if the horsepower peak is 6,000? But if that's what needs to be done, I will try again next time and shift right at redline 6800 RPM.

Not sure what dumping the clutch really means but when I'm staged, My foot is on the clutch and I'm revving the engine around or near 3,000 RPM and once it turns green, I let my foot off the clutch. Right then should I just floor it with my right foot? When I did my first run, I had my foot on the clutch and I was revved at 5,000 RPM and I let my foot off once it hit green and my reaction time was like 1.something and my ET was 14.8 or so.

5.0snake

PA Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
I run 14.4 @ 97 on my stock 94 cobra.....well stock motor, got bassani catback and catted x....wanna run at the track so I can get some braggin rights?...lol...justplayin...get some practice, you'll be fine!

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Tapout - 6000 rpms is too early. When you shift that early, you RPMs drop you back into the low 5000s and you have to run back up to your torque and horsepower peaks. You generally want to stay around 6500-6800 when you shift. Also, are you powershifting?

Your 60' time is killing you, but your MPH looks pretty good. Much better than when you were in Alaska!

Also, if you are running on street tires (eg not slicks), then there is no need to do a burnout. Street compounds won't heat up and get more grip because they designed to handle the heat. All you're doing is creating a smoke show and wasting tread.

If you shift at the right RPMs and powershift, you'll run much faster. Be warned, people have been known to break things powershifting - if you don't want to risk that, then you'll have to practice shifting quickly.

Wish I was in Hawaii. The weather hear BLOWS (literally - 30 mph winds with temps in the teens and snow on the ground).

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Its all about that launch. Every .1 of 60ft is .2 off your ET. Just practice your launch. What worked well for me was to heat the tires, then launch at 2k, while slipping the clutch and then flooring it.

Also, you can take out your spare and jack to lose 35 pounds. If you get a cold air intake, you can take out your front right headlight, and it will be like a ram air, because you will be directly exposing the filter. If you are 100% stock, look into removing the snorkel on your air box. Should be worth a couple horsepower. Also, a drop in K&N is only about $45, and it might be time for you to replace the paper filter now anyway.

tapout632

Established Member
I don't powershift when right before I shift I slam the clutch and I shift it quickly my foot is off the gas for like half a second. Maybe that could be hurting it as well. What tires can I get to heat up real nice but also will last me a year or so because it's my daily driver as well. even 6 months would be alright, considering I probably do only 5 second burnouts unless it should be longer and I only do about 3 runs a night.

- Heated tires
- Shift @ 6500
- Launch at 2k, slipping the clutch then flooring it

I'll try this next week when my clutch is fixed and hopefully I get in 13s. My mods are: K&N Filter, Full exhaust, Suspension, and I think 4.10...that's pretty much it.

Will you accomplish that 60ft time in 1st gear? If so, then I know what I could probably be doing wrong, because everytime I launch it takes me like a second before I actually start going because I'm peeling out. But that shouldn't be a problem with heat tires, I should just go.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I've gone 1.98 60ft on 285 GS-D3's. I think only 275 GS-D3's will fit an 01 cobra though. These tires will probably last me 12000 miles, including burnouts.

If you have 4.10's, that could be whats causing you to spin so much at the line. I'd ask people with similar mods to you what RPM they launch at on street tires. I'm sure most people with 4.10's are using nittos though, which are a lot better tires.

Yes that 60ft is in first gear.

Steeltwo

Established Member
tapout632 said:
I don't powershift when right before I shift I slam the clutch and I shift it quickly my foot is off the gas for like half a second. Maybe that could be hurting it as well. What tires can I get to heat up real nice but also will last me a year or so because it's my daily driver as well. even 6 months would be alright, considering I probably do only 5 second burnouts unless it should be longer and I only do about 3 runs a night.

- Heated tires
- Shift @ 6500
- Launch at 2k, slipping the clutch then flooring it

I'll try this next week when my clutch is fixed and hopefully I get in 13s. My mods are: K&N Filter, Full exhaust, Suspension, and I think 4.10...that's pretty much it.

Will you accomplish that 60ft time in 1st gear? If so, then I know what I could probably be doing wrong, because everytime I launch it takes me like a second before I actually start going because I'm peeling out. But that shouldn't be a problem with heat tires, I should just go.

i suggest launching at higher than 2,000rpm's

the guy doing that has a modd 03 with more torque than a dump truck :)

most 01's see the best results ate 2800 I do believe??

Slo01Cobra

Established Member
Get a set of nitto's (275s) and slip the clutch from around 3000. Thats how I used to get my best times before the blower. I was able to get 1.7s 60's with 4.10s and would trap around 103 to 105. 12.8 was my best time with these mods; CAI, 4.10s, underdrive pullies and NO CATs. Using the same launch 13.5 was my best bone stock.

Users who are viewing this thread