Timed events and Insurance??

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
For those of you that do timed track events, what kind of special insurance do you guys carry. My insurance carrier will cover my car as long as it is not an actual racing or a timed event.

I signed up for the Autocross event at RA, but now I'm getting a little nervous about it because my car will not be covered.

Is there special insurance that I can buy?

Thx

kevin

none that i'm aware of for timed events unless it's a sanctioned event by scca or nasa or some group like that.

also, since there are more open track events, i've heard more insurance companies are even denying coverage for untimed track events.

what's a person to do? self insure i guess?

also, when you go out on the track, build your lap speed as you get more comfortable with the car and track. i know this sounds wierd since you should no your car. but, work up to it. that's the best insurance anyway.

kevin.#22,#41,#80

Cobra-R

Established Member
Good advice, kevin on building your speed as your comfort level increases.

What concerns me the more than a driving mistake is a mechanical failure. A failure like Joe had with his rotor or simular in the wrong place would really be enough to ruin a persons day. In any case it won't stop me from doing more of it, about all we can do is get some help from experienced drivers and double check our cars over, to minimize the chance of a mechanical failure.

Brian

Last edited:

95rcobra

Hey Guys, I think you are out of luck when it comes to insurance and on track events. I have Parish motorsports insurance which specializes in classic and special interest autos. But when the car is taken on a track I am out of luck because they state in their policy that it excludes racing, race testing, speed trials, on-track or similar events. If someone comes up with an insurer who covers on track activities please let me know. I want that coverage. later 95rcobra.

kevin

i had parish on my 427, but when the father died and the son took over, well, things changed. the father started the biz to insure on track events cause accidents rarely happened. dad died, son merged with heatcock and track coverage went the way of the dino. kids!

for the kind of insurance they offer now, it's just like any other classic car/cruise/show only type of insurance. i cancelled my policy when they changed coverage and got a better rate.

kevin.#22,#41,#80

Terry Moenich

Established Member
NO insurance covers that. The autocross is one car at a time, unless you have brake failure or just flat over drive the car, you won't crash.

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Hi Terry. I see you are from Chi-town, just a couple of hours from me. Would you be up for any track action? haha

I'm not worried about the auto-x with the cones set up in the parking lots, but the timed events that are staged on an actual track. There are plenty of chances for things to go wrong there.

Users who are viewing this thread