Time to Tune???

01CaliSnake

Established Member
Hey guys, just wanted to see if i should get a tune now. I have insatlled a JLT Cai, magnaflow o/r x, full magnapack catback exhaust, and march underdrive pullies. Is it time for me to get a tune??? I did a search but couldnt find anything that fit my situation. Thanks Guys!!!! Tom

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
not 100% necessary at this point. It would be good and could unlock more PWR. If you go ported intake and/or longtubes I'd be suggesting it.

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
I'd get one

You have opened up both your intake and exhaust quite a bit.

A full length CAI and no cats with straight-thru mufflers....Definately get a tune.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
KingCobra10Sec said:
Yeah you can get a tune, You should be able to pickup 30rwhp with a tune.

my tuner told me on NA cars, you should be able to get roughly 15rwhp... maybe more with a dyno tune.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
srl135 said:
my tuner told me on NA cars, you should be able to get roughly 15rwhp... maybe more with a dyno tune.

you can get more than that w/ a dyno tune...our cars have a wussy-ass timing curve stock...the right tune will work wonders...

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
i figured more was possible with a dyno tune but didnt know you could get 30rwhp. What about custom tunes by sending in the dyno chart? i realize that is not as productive, but could it be close since it is the same procedure basically?

i have never been so happy to be wrong about the power gains LOL

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
well, what (if anything) do you plan to do to the car in the near future? If you are going to do something that will cause you to need a tune again (for example a power adder) then I would just wait, saves you the cost of doing it twice. If you don't intend to do anything, I would recommend getting one now though.. it will be beneficial (plus it gives you a good idea of where exactly you are if you get a dyno tune.. which helps you decide on your next mods)

01CaliSnake

Established Member
i dont have any other plans for the car in the near future....thought about porting the intake or maybe headers but that is way down the road...i am on a tight budget right now and i am out of cheaper bolt ons...any advice on what else i could do to unleash some more power for not alot of cash???? thanks to all the comments!!!!!

coreseller

Established Member
I have basically the same mods as you. I finally broke down and did 4.10 gears and had the guys at Modular Depot tune it for me then. I think 30 hp from a tune to be a little much, I ended up with 299 rwhp (didn't do U/D pullies though) but the responsiveness of the motor and even how it sounds is much better.

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
coreseller said:
I have basically the same mods as you. I finally broke down and did 4.10 gears and had the guys at Modular Depot tune it for me then. I think 30 hp from a tune to be a little much, I ended up with 299 rwhp (didn't do U/D pullies though) but the responsiveness of the motor and even how it sounds is much better.

x2 on the gears thing. thats by far your next best mod.

Users who are viewing this thread