Time to trade... Had enough

scholle

Established Member
Up until the past couple of months I really enjoyed my 12 GT. It looked good and ran even better. I did the common bolt ons, some suspension work, etc. For 4 years and 70k miles it was relatively trouble free. But.. the last couple of months things began to fall apart. The cooling fan plug burnt again, as well as the GT500 fan that was replaced as part of previous repair. Door panels separated from the foam. The paint on the hood bubbled, again... The A/C developed a slow leak . The squeaks and rattles were becoming more that just irritating. I enjoy maintaining and doing light repair work on my daily driver vehicles so none of that was a big deal... I drove home form work, pulled in my driveway and. [video=youtube;PDVzX6uNbrw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDVzX6uNbrw[/video]
Oil was fine, temps were fine, didn't miss or run rough, no MIL lights nothing. I kept up with maintenance and used Mobile 1 synthetic and motorcraft filters. I was always listening for unusual noises like *the tick* that is often talked about. I never heard anything louder than the injectors or a/c compressor until then.
I had enough, my kids no longer fit in the back seat, I'm getting old, and need another daily. I'm a Ford guy and I still like the coyote engines ( and Mustangs ). I'm in a new F-150 5.0 super crew. Nice and roomy but feels so SLOW.. looks like VMP has a cure for that..

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm in a new F-150 5.0 super crew. Nice and roomy but feels so SLOW.. looks like VMP has a cure for that..

Well, everything happens for a reason. Congrats on the new F150.
And yes, VMP will make that F150 truck of yours fast! Good luck and keep us posted!

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
They took it as a trade in with it knocking?

I'm hoping they knew about the knock if they did. If not I really hope the dealer catches it before some kid buys it and then they blame him for the knock. Post up some pics of the F-150!!

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
yea that doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about my Mustang. ud think being a newer car it wud be more reliable.

hand-filer

Established Member
yea that doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about my Mustang. ud think being a newer car it wud be more reliable.

The warm and fuzzy feeling should have disappeared from your thought process the day you decided to crank up the power level of your car to 660 HP.

Flcracker

Established Member
I would not want to worry about heat soaking my motor in a truck, though. As soon as my car begins to pull timing from the Florida heat,I park it. I think I'd be more inclined to change the gears in my truck than to slap on a heavy TVS. But to each his own.

Last edited:

scholle

Established Member
I'm hoping they knew about the knock if they did. If not I really hope the dealer catches it before some kid buys it and then they blame him for the knock. Post up some pics of the F-150!!

I did trade it in and they were aware of the engine noise. I worked in the service dept of the same dealership in the early 90's. I left on good terms ( career change ) and know most of the people that are still working there. A couple of the guys in the service dept were wanting the car before I finalized the paperwork. They saw I left things like the kooks long tubes and exhaust , control arms etc. and I had the factory take offs in the trunk. They have always treated me well and were more than fair on what they gave me for my car. No complaints there.

I am still not really upset ( a little bummed but not upset ) about the knock development. Its a mass produced, mechanical piece that failed. Things like that will continue to happen. The world isn't perfect.
I work in engineering and operations reliability support at one of the largest refinery/chemical sites in the US. I am very familiar with mechanical failures, root cause analysis and developing prevention measures.
Believe me, the engineers at Ford did a fantastic job on the coyote. Being able to mass produce an engine that is as efficient, powerful, reliable and affordable is a monumental task. If I didn't believe that I wouldn't have bought another vehicle with virtually the same engine and transmission.

I will post some pics once I get it lowered , wheels etc. Right now it looks just as plain as any base model work truck. Not for long though...

Vert

Established Member
I would not want to worry about heat soaking my motor in a truck, though. As soon as my car begins to pull timing from the Florida heat,I park it. I think I'd be more inclined to change the gears in my truck than to slap on a heavy TVS. But to each his own.

So you only drive your car for 10-15 min, then why have a SC. Just because it heat soaks doesnt mean it hurts the motor, why do you think it pulls timing.

Users who are viewing this thread