Time To Replace Tires, Need Your Help.

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
It's that time again and I need a new set of tires for the Cobra. I'm mainly interested in rear tire info in this post. Currently I am running Nitto drag radials out back and the 555's up front. The drag radials have worked great on my car considering the 500+ horsepower they are forced to handle but I am hesitant to buy another set for daily driving due to poor tire wear and extremely poor handling in the rain. I'm willing to give up a bit of grip to gain tire life and better manners in the rain.

I'm looking for a rear tire in the size of 315/35/17. I've been to tire rack and discount tire already and I'm really not wanting to spend $250 per tire. I like the KD's and the GS3's but the price of them is a bit over the top in my opinion.

Here's where your help would be appreciated. I'm going to list my qustions below and if you have info then please reply.

1.) If your running 315's please tell me what brand, cost, and how you like them. (500+rwhp cars are a plus)

2.) What other tires are available in 315/35/17 (Other than KD's. GS3's and Nitto DR's) that won't break the bank?

3.) What is the best place to find a great deal on tires other than what I have already mentioned?

I appreciate any feedback you could share with me here. I've done a good bit of searching and I still have my hands in the air on this one.

Razor.:beer:

Last edited:

Avenging Angel

Established Member
Hey bro, don't take this in a bad way, but you spent a lot of money getting that blower & everything needed to have a badass 500 RWHP Cobra, don't skimp out on the tires.

I'm on my second set of GS-D3's & I love them to death. I will not buy another tire for my Cobra unless some new radical new tire technology comes out. The GS-D3's hook up great in dry weather & are awesome in the rain.

aa3.jpg

akatherazor4

Established Member
Originally posted by Avenging Angel
Hey bro, don't take this in a bad way, but you spent a lot of money getting that blower & everything needed to have a badass 500 RWHP Cobra, don't skimp out on the tires.

I'm on my second set of GS-D3's & I love them to death. I will not buy another tire for my Cobra unless some new radical new tire technology comes out. The GS-D3's hook up great in dry weather & are awesome in the rain.

[

It's all good buddy.:beer: I'm not trying to skimp on the meats but I'd really like to find a 315 in the sub $200 range. You can pick up the Nitto Dr's for around $180 so $70 more per tire sounds like a supply and demand issue to me. Your car is the reason I'm considering the GS-D3's, I love the way they look on your car man! I'm just posting to see if perhaps someone else has any info I haven't come across as of yet.

This is a bad time for me to be looking for a set of tires due to the following circumstances.

A. I just put new tires on all 4 corners of the Saleen (Ouch!)

B. If I change to different brand in the rear I will have to do the fronts also. (No mismatches on my car;-) )

C. Track opens next month and I"m concerned that my Engine, Trans, or Clutch may go south at anytime.

So in closing, for me to shell out $800+ for new street rubber at this time is a risky call. Thanks for your reply though.

Razor.:beer:

Last edited:

Samwards

Established Member
I too have the GS D3's on my car. I can atest to their quality and the VERY agressive look they provide. Their performance in the rain is unparalleled in my experience. However, I have been rather disapointed in their performance in the .25 mi. If track performance is your concern, you're better off, IMO, with a set of Nitto's 555s. By the way Avenging Angel, whats your best 60' time on the GS D3's. Best I could pull so far was a 2.0. From your Sig we have similar HP/TQ #'s.

akatherazor4

Established Member
Originally posted by Samwards
I too have the GS D3's on my car. I can atest to their quality and the VERY agressive look they provide. Their performance in the rain is unparalleled in my experience. However, I have been rather disapointed in their performance in the .25 mi. If track performance is your concern, you're better off, IMO, with a set of Nitto's 555s. By the way Avenging Angel, whats your best 60' time on the GS D3's. Best I could pull so far was a 2.0. From your Sig we have similar HP/TQ #'s.

Thanks for the input. I'm not concerned with these tires for track use, I have a set of ET Streets for that.;-)

Razor.

Users who are viewing this thread