Time to get back into shape

PureStang

Established Member
Over the last couple of weeks I have been researching how to get back into shape. I am 5'8" and 240 lbs (I know its a really heavy weight but when i had been working out consistently, i was 200 lbs and 12% bf). College basically had done me in. I stopped wrestling when i left high school and haven't done anything physical in a long time (I've played racquetball every now and then. Nothing enough to be considered anything special).

I feel one of the contributing factors for me getting a job is my weight (though it shouldn't, but i know that first impressions last).

Yes, i know what i eat is everything. I haven't been drinking soda for the last month, only water and a glass of OJ in the morning to give me a boost, and not eating junk food. Lean meats, veggies, etc etc. The food is not the part im worried about. Its my physical activity. So i found a rugby workout that seems to do a great mix of cardio and weight lifting through out the week.

M: Weight Training (Pull) and Plyometrics
T: Intervals on soccer field
W: Weight Training (Push) and Plyometrics
R: Intervals on soccer field
Friday: Off/extensive stretching
Sat: Fartlekking
Sun: Long Slow Distance

so for the fitness conscious guys in here, how does this look?

Common

Established Member
I tried it, it works. I went from 205 down to 185 of lean muscle. My endurance went up, my energy level went up, and I didn't even follow their p90x diet, I had my own. Very hard to stick with, I didnt finish the full 90 days, I stopped about 70 days in. I prefer the gym, but it did work for me.

MissGT23

Established Member
I tried it, it works. I went from 205 down to 185 of lean muscle. My endurance went up, my energy level went up, and I didn't even follow their p90x diet, I had my own. Very hard to stick with, I didnt finish the full 90 days, I stopped about 70 days in. I prefer the gym, but it did work for me.

Hmm I am thinking about trying it LOL.
I can't motivate myself. I have to make myself go to the gym or I will just sit at home and do nothing.

daredevil95

Established Member
I'm in the same boat....I need to lose about 50lbs. I have had no physical activity for the past 2+ years and gained considerable weight. I went through this before and for me it's simple...exercise and eat healthy.

I start out with changing my diet...for me, I could eat all the carbohydrates I want and don't gain a pound. Protein kills me, so I avoid it all together. I don't bother with that Jenny Craig or any of those other BS weight lose plans. When dieting and getting into shape you can't eat lasagna, stew, cheese cake & chocolate brownies....that's stuff is going to guarantee a failure. I have to change my diet all together and get that type of food out of my life...it's a mind set for me. I'll eat a lot of rice based food, salad, tuna with light mayo on grain or wheat bread, spaghetti, veggie burgers, chicken and I love Healthy Choice microwave popcorn for a snack. There's a ton more in food choices, I can't remember it all at this time. I pretty much eliminate all cholesterol from my diet. It works for me. The bottom line is you have to stick with it and make it a way of life and after 6 months (for me) I could have a normal/hearty/full of grease meal once a week...usually Sat nights.

Along with the diet I had to change my bar drinking, nacho's & TV, fast food dinners way of life. Man....I love nachos:)....that was a tough one for me. I had to stay out of the bars and TV. I never went to the gym but kept myself busy. I played a lot of golf, took up walking, bought a 250 Yamaha Blaster off road quad & went to the race track.....I found new or woke up old hobbies to keep me busy and out of the bar and off the couch. I basically had to change my way of life.

The last time I had a weight problem was in 2002, I weighed 270+/- lbs. I usually set my weight at 210-220lbs and I'm 6'1....anything under that I look like a bean pole. When I first start my diet I aim for a lower weight of around 180-190 and hit that mark and after time(6 months) I end up between 200 to 220....which is good for me and my height.

I'm usually in decent shape...for most of my life. I'll plump up here and there but, who doesn't? I was in a bad accident 2 years ago and it pretty much removed me from life along with activities/exercise. I'm at least 50lbs overweight....270+/-lbs and ready to get going again.

Hope some of this info helps you in your diet plans...remember it's a change of lifestyle. You have to find the combination of food and exercise that works for you. Good luck!!

Kevins89notch

Established Member
My problem was the opposite of most. I was a little shy of 6 foot, and 125lbs. Something snapped finally, and I had enough of it. 14 months later, I saw this...

217793_10150158827341274_715186273_6926846_2417579_n.jpg

Now I've cut back my calorie count, and am down to about 174. I hope to shave off another 10 pounds, and I should be back into the single digit body fat percentage I was many months ago, but with 40lbs more of muscle. :)

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Find out what your max is [ wieght lifting or cardio ] work out to 70/80% of that.
After about 6 weeks/2months find out what your new max is and work out to 70/80% of that. repeat-repeat-repeat. [ change your routine up too]
After about 6/8 months of that you can start to get serious.

hoamskilet

Established Member
I made it through a few weeks of p90x before my knees told me I had to stop (have had 2 knee surgeries since). I can honestly say it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. There's no magic to it, just ass busting work. I've been back at working out for about the past 6 weeks trying to drop about 20 lbs. and get ready for the warrior dash in June. I've lost close to 10lbs. and can see a noticeable change in the shape of my body. I do 3 days of lifting and 3 days of cardio and core work every week. I've also been working on cleaning up my eating which has been by far the hardest part of the process haha. It makes a huge difference though. I do pretty well through the week, but every once in awhile I have a weekend that I eat unhealthy food and I can sure tell when I go to work out monday.

]sVt[Po|son

Established Member
p90x then get on Insanity. Getlikeme son lol

I lost a lot of weight on p90x, you wont be disappointed and like Common, I didn't follow their diet but I did change my eating habits.

king nothing

Established Member
I can't motivate myself. I have to make myself go to the gym or I will just sit at home and do nothing.
This is one of the major problems i have as well. I train MMA, and getting into the gym is the hardest part. once im there, i have plenty of motivation, and i always feel great when i leave

Users who are viewing this thread