Time to get back in a car

Blackness03

Established Member
Well after a 4 year break from the car scene to set myself up for building a house, it’s finally about finished. So I’m ready to get back in a car. I’d love to find another calypso coupe but I think I want something trouble free. Something fast that I can just hop in and drive without taking a whole toolbox with me.

I’m looking to get either a 13/14 GT500, or a 13+ 5.0 with a supercharger.

Which is the best bang for the buck? I’ve always loved the Shelby’s but the 5.0 for 20k cheaper makes it a real contender.

Thoughts?

08mojo

Established Member
There have been a lot of these threads, but I cannot remember what the mob mentality is on this topic. My opinion: are you the type that loves to upgrade and turn wrenches? Or, will you leave the car close to stock (maybe some basic bolt-ons)?

If you want to leave the car close to stock (to be as close to trouble free as possible), get the GT500.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
There have been a lot of these threads, but I cannot remember what the mob mentality is on this topic. My opinion: are you the type that loves to upgrade and turn wrenches? Or, will you leave the car close to stock (maybe some basic bolt-ons)?

If you want to leave the car close to stock (to be as close to trouble free as possible), get the GT500.

Dis

If you wrench, be mindful of that fact.

If you don't, go get a GT350/500 or something you can just enjoy.

I like to wrench and suffer too much to own anything nice.

Blackness03

Established Member
I like to wrench but I’d rather pick up a cheap worn out fox to bring back to life for when I get the itch.

I want a car I can hop in and go without the worry. With a lot of power on tap.

Sounds like GT500 is the better option

08mojo

Established Member
I like to wrench but I’d rather pick up a cheap worn out fox to bring back to life for when I get the itch.

I want a car I can hop in and go without the worry. With a lot of power on tap.

Sounds like GT500 is the better option

Good choice!

Kiohtee

Established Member
The best bang for the buck on the market right now is a second generation Coyote (your choice of transmission, but the auto is faster and stronger) with an On3 twin turbo kit. That's the absolute cheapest way to make 600-700+ wheel horsepower today, reliably.

Change my mind.

Note: For a little more money you could go centri or twin screw depending on your preference, but you start to lose that performance per dollar ratio this way.

Blackness03

Established Member
The best bang for the buck on the market right now is a second generation Coyote (your choice of transmission, but the auto is faster and stronger) with an On3 twin turbo kit. That's the absolute cheapest way to make 600-700+ wheel horsepower today, reliably.

Change my mind.

Note: For a little more money you could go centri or twin screw depending on your preference, but you start to lose that performance per dollar ratio this way.

Maybe things have changed over the past few years, but it use to be that everyone I knew with turbo cars had nothing but problems. Has that changed? Also, Don’t they use cheap Chinese turbos?

Kiohtee

Established Member
Maybe things have changed over the past few years, but it use to be that everyone I knew with turbo cars had nothing but problems. Has that changed? Also, Don’t they use cheap Chinese turbos?

Times have changed. On3 produces a quality kit now aside from the fact that if you're installing it yourself, it doesn't quite fit like a glove compared to the Hellion and Armageddon kits. If that's worth literally double the price to you then so be it, but again, you move away from that performance per dollar ratio.

For instance; I daily drive a 2017 GT base with the 6R80 and a 61mm On3 twin turbo kit (still journal bearing turbos, just upgraded from 55mm). Aside from the turbo kit it's stock (meaning no internal work, factory OPGs and crank gear). With just injectors and a BAP, my car makes 815RWHP and 833RWTQ on 15 degrees of timing and 16lbs of boost. It could make upwards of 1,000RWHP if we threw all the timing in it E85 affords, but I was going for safe and conservative and probably won't be doing that. All said and done, I'm at like $8,000 out the door (installed and tuned). That's what a base Hellion or Armageddon kit will cost you without supporting mods, install and tuning.

Just food for thought.

08mojo

Established Member

Change my mind.

I don't really have a strong counterpoint to your setup. But do you really feel your car has the same reliability as a stock or near stock GT500? I'm sure it's faster, but that's not the question.

I feel like I could comfortably go out to a driving event and beat on a GT500 all day, then drive it home without a second thought. I'm not sure I'd have the same confidence in a coyote powered car making the same power as a gt500 (I know yours makes more). I also wouldn't have second thoughts about driving a GT500 across the country without worry. Not sure I would feel the same in a turbo'd coyote.

That's just me and I know I'm probably too worried about 'what could happen.' Don't read too much into my post, I love your build--it's badass!

Kiohtee

Established Member
I don't really have a strong counterpoint to your setup. But do you really feel your car has the same reliability as a stock or near stock GT500? I'm sure it's faster, but that's not the question.

I feel like I could comfortably go out to a driving event and beat on a GT500 all day, then drive it home without a second thought. I'm not sure I'd have the same confidence in a coyote powered car making the same power as a gt500 (I know yours makes more). I also wouldn't have second thoughts about driving a GT500 across the country without worry. Not sure I would feel the same in a turbo'd coyote.

That's just me and I know I'm probably too worried about 'what could happen.' Don't read too much into my post, I love your build--it's badass!

I do feel my car is as reliable as a stock or near stock GT500 to be honest. The problem is I only have 10,000 miles and some change on the setup. However, that 10K miles has been accumulated in a span of four months, and they haven't exactly been easy miles. I appreciate the compliment and I fully get what you're saying, but I can confidently say I would drive my car across country except for the fact that E85 (and even 93) isn't available everywhere and those are my only tunes to date. But aside from that, yes, as a general scenario I would most definitely road trip 2,000+ miles without hesitation.

Users who are viewing this thread