Time to change engine Oil !!!!!

svt_king_cobra

Established Member
Hello,

It is the time to change Oil and filter for my Shelby 2013, but i do not what is the best option, since i live in a very hot country + 120F.
Which one do you suggest ? "Motorcraft, Castrol,......" :shrug:
I'm running Whipple 2.9 on my car.

Thanks,
Talal

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
already been discussed a million times... tons of threads on it. use the search, it's your friend. and save a kitten while you are at it...
attachment.php

Last edited:

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
WHy would you take the time to type out all that stupid bs instead of just saying hey use this oil. Who cares how many times it's been discussed..the guy asked a simple question.

Fordfourlife

Established Member
None of the recommended oils will hurt your car,go with what makes you happy.

michaeljtrent

Established Member
I just changed mine and went with Castrol Edge 5W50 and the generic Ford racing filter (Part FL-820S if I remember correctly).

Although, it barely gets over 100 degrees where I live.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Are you a member of some car club over there? There may be more input from that crowd. That being said, there are some members on here that are pretty knowledgeable and hopefully they will chime in instead of referring you to other threads.

I believe your questions is a bit different since you are specifically calling out the high temperatures in your area.

Crowley

03reptile

Established Member
Go with what Ford recommends, Motorcraft oil and filter. Preserves the warranty. End of story. All else is personal speculation and opinions. This topic has been historically beaten to death.

2013gt5

Established Member
you will not void your warranty if you don't use Motorcraft. Read the manual...

Hot climate oil change intervals: Vehicles operating in the Middle
East, North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa or locations with similar climates
using an American Petroleum Institute (API) Certified for Gasoline
Engines (Certification mark) oil of SM or SN quality, the normal oil
change interval is 5000 miles (8000 kilometers).
If the available API SM or SN oils are not available, then the oil change
service interval is 3000 miles (4800 kilometers).

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
This has been asked many times. Read the greasy spoon forum. If you read the words on the oil cap it says MC 5W50 recommended, not mandatory. Amsoil Signature Series is the best bet. 10W40 if car is stock, 10W30 if using 170* thermostat. Signature Series is true synthetic. You will not void the warranty.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
what do you think of castrol 10w 60 ?
Too thick for the close tolerances plus you'll get poor gas mileage. I'm using 10W30 Amsoil SS in my '13 Shelby ever since the car was new. It now has around 5500 mi. with no issues. The car still has the stock thermostat but I don't push nor race the car (well maybe once or twice down in Mexico). I'll be doing an oil analysis soon. I get slightly better gas mileage than when I bought it with the motorcrap 5W50.
Because you're in Kuwait, maybe you should use 10W40 for the hot weather.

Last edited:

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
what do you think of castrol 10w 60 ?

Having had three BMW "M" cars that use it, and having used it a lot for a long time, I'd say it's a viable option for the GT500.

First though, there are two Castrol 10w-60's - the correct one is Edge 10w-60 that's approved for BMW "M" engines. The other one, Edge Sport, meets a lesser set of specs and wouldn't be a good choice.

The Castrol M-spec oil shears very quickly, in the first 1000km, to the right viscosity - 17.5 cSt, just above the bottom of the SAE50 range - for the engine. As far as quality is concerned, that oil is a very capable racing oil, performing at levels comparable to Motul 300V and similar race lubes.

Having said all that, there's no evidence that the specified Motorcraft oils won't serve the purpose just fine, at half the price of the Castrol or less.

03reptile

Established Member
Use what the factory recommends and avoid all the hand wringing and teeth gnashing about which oil product is marginally better, etc. Spend that time driving and enjoying the car! Also, warranty coverage is often predicated upon what a dealer decides, and they all have marginally different approaches to that. Some are mod friendly, some are not. So... to best cover all your bets, stay with the Motorcraft oil and filter and it becomes a non-issue. Isn't that what you're shooting for?

Users who are viewing this thread