Time for new headlights - Whose are best?

03Predator

Established Member
Looking in to some projector headlights for my '04. I'm staying away from the usual aftermarket crap just based on reviews. I noticed there are a couple threads on svtp started by companies who produce some nice looking ones - Yuke and hidretrofitlights. Are they both similar in price and quality? Production time? Also anyone have some recent pictures of theirs they could post?

Thanks! :D

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I just picked up an old set of headlights yesterday to do a retrofit myself (found a guy on craigslist selling a very beat up set for $50). I'll try to document how tough it can be to do.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I've been wanting retrofits myself - just want to see how hard it is to do. All in all this project without the bulbs will have cost me less than $100. If it works - it will be pretty awesome. If it doesn't - it will be a great lesson learned... :)

03Predator

Established Member
I've been wanting retrofits myself - just want to see how hard it is to do. All in all this project without the bulbs will have cost me less than $100. If it works - it will be pretty awesome. If it doesn't - it will be a great lesson learned... :)

I applaud your effort! I wish I had the talent to even try.

oldmodman

Established Member
You might want to try some of the new direct fit LED "bulbs" that are being talked about in this thread. They are only (between) $49.00 and $99.00

There is still quite a bit of discussion about whether there is the HID glare from putting them in our stock headlamps. But jusr from the LED being a point source even smaller than the halogen filaments in our stock bulbs they should work pretty nicely. And they are that higher temp that everyone seem to be going for.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1012875-Question-about-LED-headlights-terminator

03Predator

Established Member
Thanks, oldmodman! I will check in to it. The main reason I'm interested in the retrofit lights is that I wanted something showy. I know it's shallow, but it's the truth. LOL I'm going for the whole demon eye/halo effect.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Well - I just finished my own retrofit.

I turned this crap:
gWOUr2j.jpg

Into this:
fTjO2HI.jpg

Took a lot of elbow grease - and broke a few thinks that I wouldn't a second time around.. lol

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Same housing - I polished the lens before I put it all back together. I only did the straight forward projectors - Angel or demon eyes aren't really what I was going for with this one. Mainly wanting the experience.

I still don't have the bulb and anticipate the need to fabricate an connection between the 9007 socket and the H1 bulb. I really don't want to cut up the factory wires. I think I'll need to set up a relay switch of sorts to make it all work right. I'm keeping a list of all the things I've done to it so far.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I waiting on a few more parts to come in (wire adapters and a new back cover). I should have it ready for install early next week (I hope).

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I'm not sure the one I opened up was OEM. It looked OEM, but it had two nails on the top and it was missing the Ford logo on the side. It did have vertical and horizontal adjustments - so I'm kind of left scratching my head on if the construction of the headlights design changed for 03/04 and I got an earlier set from Craigslist - of if these were aftermarket.

Image with nail:
STac3kr.jpg

To open these up - it was not too challenging. There are two hidden screws in there that at least one should be taken out first (I broke a few things on these learning about it - that screw was one of them). The screw is on the edge by the amber reflectors - behind what looks like melted plastic (it's actually rubber of some sort). The pieces snug together at the reflector - so when you pry from the headlight side first (opposite the reflector) - I initially used a large flat head screwdriver to get it started - once you get it open a bit you can stick your fingers in the opening and carefully pull it open.

I cooked mine in the oven for 8 minutes at 230 degrees. So also be sure to wear gloves if you do this. I used mechanics gloves and they worked out fine - hands got warm but never a burning sensation. Others have mentioned using a heat gun on the edge.

Putting it back together I used some grey silicone from a compressed can - made it easy to quickly put a bead on it and then push the lens back on it.

I just ordered a new aftermarket set - I want to do it right.

03Predator

Established Member
I wasn't thinking of doing this myself, I was just curious as to your experience with the housings as I've heard they can be difficult to open. I'm so not mechanically inclined. I seem to have a brain blockage where tech stuff is concerned. lol Besides, a 40+ mom modifying her car's headlights...? No, can't imagine it. ;) Now if someone needs a meatloaf or well-written letter, I'm your gal. lol

But thanks for your advice. I really do appreciate it. If I'm ever that brave or get tired of waiting... I'm trying to get quotes for the retrofits from two guys but the process is painfully slow. *sighs*

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
cooking headlights or meat loaf... it's all the same, right? ;) I actually just got a set of new aftermarket headlights. These have nails in them just like the previous old ones I got did (leading me further to believe the ones I bought were not OEM like the seller indicated they were). And I finally figured out how to seal the H1 bulbs. I'll try to remember and do a video of it - it is not as hard as you think it is - just takes a little time.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I just thought I knew how to seal the H1 bulb in there... The only reason it worked with the old headlight was because the rubber seal behind the headlight was busted. With a rubber seal intact the idea I had does not work properly. I might not matter though - I just drove in heavy rain and the headlights seem to still be dry inside. I'll go ahead and start a new thread of my retrofit saga - might as well at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread